Oil & Fuel BX Metal on Transmission Filter

/ BX Metal on Transmission Filter #1  

tonio

Tractor
Kubota BX1800
Here's a pic of the metal on the transmission filter. At the bottom of the used oil container, there was at least 2x as much metal. Should I be worried for my BX?

Attachments

• P1010860.jpg
    P1010860.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 516
   / BX Metal on Transmission Filter #2  
How many hours on unit? How many times has it been changed? Have any piping changes, or equipment additions?

If a new unit, this could be shavings from the housings. That screen is on the suction of the pump. Looks like it stopped the metal from entering the pump suction.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ BX Metal on Transmission Filter #3  
:frown:
That does not look good. There is a larger piece to the left side of the filter that looks like part of a washer.
On the bright side, the filter screen is doing its job.:)

/ BX Metal on Transmission Filter #4  
On the bright side, the screen is protecting the pump from chewing this debris into smaller pieces that travel out into the hydraulics.
On the down side, there are bearings and gears that are bathed in this same oil without the protection of being filtered.
I would flush the system, and after a few hours, check the suction screen again. Repeat this process until there is minimal debris found.
It seems that there are transmissions assembled without proper care taken to be sure the castings are clean before assembly. Luckily, mine had none of this debris at the 50 or 400 hour oil changes.

/ BX Metal on Transmission Filter #5  
Hate to say it but the pieces of metal appear to be normal. Many other threads talk about this.

/ BX Metal on Transmission Filter #6  
Looks normal to me also if tractor is new...

/ BX Metal on Transmission Filter #7  
Since tractor is at least 10 years old I would drain a quart and add atf and run till hot then flush and fill.

/ BX Metal on Transmission Filter
Thanks guys. 2nd transmission, first was replaced under warranty at 300hrs.
This is at 740 hours.

/ BX Metal on Transmission Filter #9  
Based on my experience of kubota tractors over the past 13 years, i thought this looked like normal wear & tear.

/ BX Metal on Transmission Filter #10  
Just drill chips from the manufacturing process, nothing the worry about.