M120 3 pt lift problems - lift light flashing fast, no interior lift controls

/ M120 3 pt lift problems - lift light flashing fast, no interior lift controls #1  

treemuncher

Bronze Member
Tractor
treemuncher.com
I've got an M120 4x4 tractor. The 3 pt lift system has been slightly problematic over the years with a flashing light at start up until I lift it with the interior up button. That normally stops the light from flashing and everything works fine.

Today while working with the post hole digger, the lift light started flashing but this time fast and the interior and exterior controls quit. I've learned that holding both interior buttons down while turning the key on resets the error. Once started the light started flashing fast again and still no working functions.

I removed the connector on the left rear sensor for the lift arm. After that, I was able to use the exterior button controls to move the arms up and down an finish my project. After that, I did pull all of the associated connectors and nothing seemed to solve the problems. I pulled the control box for the lift, cleaned all of the ground contacts and tightened all screws. I also checked the two rear sensors and made sure the variable resistors were working - they are. I've checked fuses, still no solution found.

Does anyone have a service manual that describes the troubleshooting steps for this system?

Has anyone else had similar problems with an M120 or similar Kubota?

I usually fix all of my equipment myself. I avoid stealers like the plague.

/ M120 3 pt lift problems - lift light flashing fast, no interior lift controls #2  
i have the same problem as you describe on same tractor, fast flashing light, i can't figure out out either what causes it, and how to solve it, so far shutting off and restarting has helped me.

/ M120 3 pt lift problems - lift light flashing fast, no interior lift controls
I'm pretty sure it's an intermittent fault in the potentiometer in the lift system. It is not a consistent fault and I don't use the tractor nor have the problem daily. I did get most of the troubleshooting paperwork from the Kubota dealer but the problem is not always there so diagnosis is not easy.

If I ever get it figured out, I'll be sure to post the results.

/ M120 3 pt lift problems - lift light flashing fast, no interior lift controls #4  
Hi,
I was wondering if you ever figured out the problem with the three point hitch on your Kubota M120. Mine just started acting up last week. I would appreciate any help you could give.

No, it is still intermittent. It usually seems worst in the colder weather.

The ever increasing cost of Kubota parts keeps me from making a faster repair. Until I know what is causing it, I can't see dumping the cash into something that rarely gets used.

Right now, the tie rod ends are of more importance along with the control cables for the remote hydraulics. I REFUSE to pay $141+ for a control cable that is of a faulty design. Eight years ago, the same cable was $80 and I was pissed at that. The stranded cable within the sheath will be cold worked and then break in a short order of time. I now have custom cables made with a solid core wire for less than half of what Kubota wants for its branded parts. After going through 3 stock cables over the years, I have lost faith in Kubota's engineering skills.

I am now searching for an aftermarket solution to the tie rod ends as to replace the 4 of them is nearly $800 not including labor. This is ROBBERY and I am sure that I should be able to find a metric auto part that will be a direct replacement. $200-$300 should be a reasonable cost for all of the required parts.

/ M120 3 pt lift problems - lift light flashing fast, no interior lift controls #6  
Boy am I glad mine are all mechanical linkage. Electronic controls are nice.....until they crap out.

/ M120 3 pt lift problems - lift light flashing fast, no interior lift controls #7  
Boy am I glad mine are all mechanical linkage. Electronic controls are nice.....until they crap out.

You got that right.:thumbsup:

/ M120 3 pt lift problems - lift light flashing fast, no interior lift controls #8  
I lookad at a new 120 early this spring and it's whizz bang nice but all that electrical / electronic stuff.... lowest bidder stuff, I'll pass. Besides, it has a DEF tank, another reason I passed.

After a customer told me his new Kubota was useless for 30 minutes every time it went into exhaust regen, I have no plans for anything new in off road diesel. I hate the DEF and regen in my new Ford but the clean tailpipe is a bonus.

/ M120 3 pt lift problems - lift light flashing fast, no interior lift controls #10  
After a customer told me his new Kubota was useless for 30 minutes every time it went into exhaust regen, I have no plans for anything new in off road diesel. I hate the DEF and regen in my new Ford but the clean tailpipe is a bonus.

Don;t want one of those either. I'll keep my 97 7.3. Got a bud with a new SuperDuty and it crapped in the middle of an intersection and had to be towed. Turned out to be a sensor in the exhaust system that failed... at less than 1000 miles. Lowest bidder stuff strikes again. probably Hencho-Mexico.

The more complex they get, the more they fail.... tractors included.