Block Heater for F2400

/ Block Heater for F2400 #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
How hard is it to install a engine block heater after the fact?

I think I want something better than a plug-in dip stick.

The diesel engine is very easy to access.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Yooper Dave

/ Block Heater for F2400 #2  
The kit from Kubota is the same one that is used on the 2410/2710/2910 and probably others. The cost is around $38. You will need a 17mm allen wrench and probably a cheater bar to help unscrew the plug. Kit comes with instructions written for the F2400. Should take you only about 10 minutes, if that.

/ Block Heater for F2400 #3  
BTW, the Kubota part number for the block heater is 70000-73274.

/ Block Heater for F2400 #5  
My F2400 has a block heater but I haven't had to use it yet. But I keep my tractor in my garage in the winter. Attached is a picture of the block heater on my tractor.

Attachments

• 306083-block-heater-web.gif
    306083-block-heater-web.gif
    96.7 KB · Views: 303
   / Block Heater for F2400
Hi Raybee,

I got the parts, but it did not come with any instructions.

I found your thread very useful and informative.

A couple of questions :

I was going to flush and drain the radiator, and refill after the installation of the block heater. Do I just fill up the radiator, or is there some bleeding or something to do to get out any air voids?

What kind of dope do you put on the threads to screw the heater into the engine block? Is teflon tape acceptable?

Thanks

Yooper Dave

/ Block Heater for F2400 #7  
yooperdave: ....My recollection was to drain enough coolant to bring the coolant level below block heater, saving the drained coolant to refill radiator after installation. If in doubt check the manual for your unit.
I used ordinary pipe dope found in plumbing department of hardware store to seal the heater plug. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ....RayBee

/ Block Heater for F2400 #8  
re: sealing the block heater

I used teflon tape and have had no leaks.

/ Block Heater for F2400 #9  
Personally, I prefer pipe dope compound. The thing that I don't like about Teflon tape on new fittings is that the threads are so sharp that they cut the tape while it is being threaded into the hole. Another thing about Teflon tape is that you have to be careful not to over tighten when using it because it is so smooth going in, that you can crack the block if you aren't careful. Teflon tape was originally made for use with old pipe fittings that were worn from assembly and disassembly. Now it is common place to use it on all threads.

/ Block Heater for F2400 #10  
Yooper Dave
I installed a block heater in my B2910 last week. Dealer gave me some suggestions. I will list them below.
1. The pipe plug in block requires a 17 mm Allen type wrench to remove.
2. The block heater requires a 35 mm wrench. I used a 1 7/16 socket to install.
3. Use TFE Pipe Thread Sealant. This is Teflon paste from Home Depot. Put pipe dope on heater threads before you start removing plug.
4. Have some Fleet guard anti freeze on hand incase more antifreeze is lost than reservoir bottle can replace.
5. Remove plug only when engine is cold. There will be a little bit of vacuum in the cooling system to hold the anti freeze in engine when it is cold.
6. Install the heater as quick as possible after removing plug to avoid loosing to much antifreeze.

I was able to use this procedure to install my heater. There was about 3 tablespoons of antifreeze in the drain pan when I completed the installation.