Met with 5 or 6 Kubota Engineers from Japan today, they listened and asked questions

/ Met with 5 or 6 Kubota Engineers from Japan today, they listened and asked questions
Another well documented problem is the jerky 3pt hitch on the L's and MX tractors. There are many posts on this site regarding this.

I did own a L3240 Grand at one time and it didn't have any jerky problems. I only gave info concerning my own experience and not other peoples experience that I don't know. I've never owned but the one L and never owned anything bigger. I've owned several BXs and several Bs, 3 Fs and one gas mower and one RTV. Only gave my experience on what I've owned and used. Their questions were geared to my experience and what I'd like to see improved in future models. Bs, BXs and Fs. Also what features would get me to leave Kubota if offered by other brands. I told them I couldn't think of anything but I did check price as a big reason/priority factor for me. It was why I bought my first Kubota and stayed with them for a few years. Price and now added to price is dealer, Barlows.
I've never owned a cabbed tractor with A/C and Heat and truthfully I don't expect to so I have no knowledge about comfortable tractors. They were very concerned about comfort. I told them they are tractors and not cars with air ride suspensions and they were OK for me......for a tractor. Big grins of agreement on this.
They did express that some/many people thought they should be comfortable like cars. I told them I didn't but I know there are lots of suburban mowers that buy these Kubota Sub compact and compact tractors and just use them for mowing without ever really finding out what workhorses they really are and maybe expect them to be comfortable for the price they are paying for a lawn mower.
Several questions concerning speed I operated in, mostly. Later found out why.
The F has a fairly comfortable seat but price one. You'll see why the more competitive models don't have the really high priced seat. $500 can be the deciding factor between brands for some people. All tractors can be made more comfortable but at what price and what trade offs. Most F buyers are riding on fairly decent ground (not me) for hours at a time and the more comfortable seat is worth the extra money. I wouldn't, don't pay extra for a more comfortable seat on my Bs or BXs but some people may be willing to do so and maybe some of you have bought a more expensive seat for your smaller tractors which gives the option for those that are willing to pay the extra, can and those of us (the majority) aren't and don't have to because of those that really want them. Spend your money and let us save ours. That also applies to alot of features on tractors, I'm sure on all brands even though I have no personal experience with any brand but Kubota.

/ Met with 5 or 6 Kubota Engineers from Japan today, they listened and asked questions #22  
John, wish I could have mentioned some things to them, will have to check their home page.
I got into red (MF) tractors because of the lower RPM range at PTO speed instead of Kubota.
The mowers do not have a tachometer so I can run WOT without seeing the RPMs.Drove big trucks for years where 2100 RPM was screaming.
On the ZD there is only one fuel gauge, on the left tank, the right only has a low fuel warning light that my arm blocks the view of when mowing.The selector valve only has three positions, OFF, RIGHT, & LEFT. Either have a dual needle meter for both tanks or a four position valve with a BOTH location. The manual reads operate from the right tank first for some reason, no explanation.

On the F series there is an optional cab with a heater but no AC. Down south that might sell (with AC) if not too expensive. Just read about the optional turning brakes, have no reason to turn sharper than it does where I operate. Only other regret is having to refill that 16 gallon tank. At the most with the needle bouncing off empty I have topped off with 10+ gallons. That was a very long day.

/ Met with 5 or 6 Kubota Engineers from Japan today, they listened and asked questions #23  
On the ZD there is only one fuel gauge, on the left tank, the right only has a low fuel warning light that my arm blocks the view of when mowing.The selector valve only has three positions, OFF, RIGHT, & LEFT. Either have a dual needle meter for both tanks or a four position valve with a BOTH location.
No commercial mower that I have seen has a "both" option as then you would get fuel flowing from one side to the other (VERY bad idea on a hillside with vented caps and 2 full tanks, how do you spell gasoline shower). I agree that dual meters would be nice, but few commercial mowers even have meters.

Aaron Z

/ Met with 5 or 6 Kubota Engineers from Japan today, they listened and asked questions #24  
I was thinking one way values from each tank to prevent crossfeed.Will have to look to see where the fuel lines run and if there is a fuel return line to the right tank. It takes around 3 hours of operation for the light to blink but I have to stop or move my arm to see it. Also the oil pressure light is next to it, hard to see also. Even knowing the fuel warning light is on (yellow) if I notice a blinking light out of the corner of my eye I have to check it is not the oil pressure (red).
The temperature gauge I can see without any problem, and do check frequently. Do not want the warning buzzer to be the first indication of overheating.
I will say it is a very tough mower and has held well with just under 400 hours of operation. I do allow the front axle to float for a smoother ride rather than pinning it for a better cut.

/ Met with 5 or 6 Kubota Engineers from Japan today, they listened and asked questions #25  
No commercial mower that I have seen has a "both" option as then you would get fuel flowing from one side to the other (VERY bad idea on a hillside with vented caps and 2 full tanks, how do you spell gasoline shower). I agree that dual meters would be nice, but few commercial mowers even have meters.

Aaron Z

I tied my two tanks together with Ts. The light comes on when BOTH tanks are about 1/2 full....the gauage shows my TOTAL fuel. I can run it right down to the E mark now. I like this setup much much MUCH better. That fuel does not flow that fast between tanks. The Ts balance the fuel between the tanks. When I fill one, the other doesn't automatically come up at the same rate...takes awhile. I have to fill both.

/ Met with 5 or 6 Kubota Engineers from Japan today, they listened and asked questions #26  
I tied my two tanks together with Ts. The light comes on when BOTH tanks are about 1/2 full....the gauage shows my TOTAL fuel. I can run it right down to the E mark now. I like this setup much much MUCH better. That fuel does not flow that fast between tanks. The Ts balance the fuel between the tanks. When I fill one, the other doesn't automatically come up at the same rate...takes awhile. I have to fill both.
Just so long as you dont spend much time on a sidehill with full tanks... Even without the tanks being tied together, you can end up with a jet of gas coming out of the vent on the tank cap (as seen on several 60/72" cut eXmark Lazer Zs and a similar 60" Huskvarna).

Aaron Z

/ Met with 5 or 6 Kubota Engineers from Japan today, they listened and asked questions
The F has only one tank which is, I think, 11 gallons. Runs a long time for me before refills and the guage lets me know when it's low and on the diesel I never want to run it dry. I mow on a hillside and I have had it sputter before and I either backed or forwarded to the house with the fuel tank on the low side.
I think a tach is optional on the Fs which I've never bought. I throttle it all the way, then back it off till it seems right then start cutting and if the cut isn't good I throttle more. When my field at the rental property gets a foot or so high I usually do full throttle thru it and if necessary slow down some. Over septic lines grass grows 6" a day, seems like.:D I still only mow about every 2 weeks when I can see for sure where I've mowed and then maybe every three weeks as summer heat and dryer time arrive.