Who wears seat belts

/ Who wears seat belts #61  
I don't have seat belt or ROPS on my kub l285, and wouldn't wear a seat belt anyways, no saying its smart, but I work in the road construction business and I have never worn or seen one worn on the job, unless it was simply to hold the operator in the seat on a nasty sideslope in a dozer. In the car I do wear them, two accidents have convinced me, I walked away because I was wearing one. I feel for everyone shareing accident stories, but my dad rolled a Ford NAA and died when I was younger, but I don't let that scare me in my work. So.... wearing one is smart, but I don't, nor do I plan to start.

Last edited:
   / Who wears seat belts #62  
In the truck or on the tractor I always wear a seat belt. Years ago I rolled a Jeep and I had the belt on and I walked away. Knees were shaking, But I walked away.

On the tractor I forget that I even have it on. It yanks me back when I'm trying to get off and go open a gate.

Charlie

/ Who wears seat belts #63  
Not when doing farm chores. We are often on and off the tractor several times a minute. Always wear seat belt when lifting heavy loads especially unloading pallets of potting soil with the forks. Also wear seat belt when skidding logs with the winch. Mowing rough terrain as well.

/ Who wears seat belts #64  
I don't wear it when I'm cutting grass as I have to have the ROPS folded due to trees, but my yard is mostly flat. However, when the loader goes on (or anything on a hill), the ROPS goes up and the belt goes on. When going to our other piece of ground (through the neighbor's woods), there is a large hill that I have to go down, and has slopes both directions. I haven't taken the new JD there yet, but plan to this weekend, and the belt will DEFINITELY be on then. It always was on my Kubota BX when going there.

I ALWAYS where one in the car/truck.

/ Who wears seat belts #65  
I don't wear it when I'm cutting grass as I have to have the ROPS folded due to trees, but my yard is mostly flat. However, when the loader goes on (or anything on a hill), the ROPS goes up and the belt goes on. When going to our other piece of ground (through the neighbor's woods), there is a large hill that I have to go down, and has slopes both directions. I haven't taken the new JD there yet, but plan to this weekend, and the belt will DEFINITELY be on then. It always was on my Kubota BX when going there.

I ALWAYS where one in the car/truck.

/ Who wears seat belts #66  
I don't wear a seat belt working on reasonably flat ground. But I also don't lift huge loads with the FEL. When working my drive - since there are areas where there are sharp drops off the side, I do wear it. Once, with my old JD, I lost a tire on the drive and the machine pitched and moved five or six feet before I could stop. I would have gone over the edge and possibly rolled down a 100 foot slope, except I hit an old long I laid next to the road. And that 1974 JD had no ROPS or belt. Things can happen even on a nice road, so if there is a hazard nearby, I wear the belt. Usually the tension in the pit of the stomach is a good indicator on slopes... And it comes more easily as I get older and more experienced.

/ Who wears seat belts #67  
I just about always use the seatbelt on the tractor. Exception: when I'm grading the drive (which is flat and has no drop-offs).

When I'm mowing the pastures, it's always on. My pastures have some slopes & aren't especially smooth (thanks to hogs & armadillos) plus the B2320 is pretty narrow & light. Inconvenient at times? Sure, but it's manageable. (Next step to add stability is liquid-filling the tires.)

/ Who wears seat belts #68  
I just about always use the seatbelt on the tractor. Exception: when I'm grading the drive (which is flat and has no drop-offs).

When I'm mowing the pastures, it's always on. My pastures have some slopes & aren't especially smooth (thanks to hogs & armadillos) plus the B2320 is pretty narrow & light. Inconvenient at times? Sure, but it's manageable. (Next step to add stability is liquid-filling the tires.)

/ Who wears seat belts #69  
Here is some food for thought. Last year I dug a hole about 5' deep by 15'x25'. I dug it to burry a junk pile the old owner of the property left behind for me. There's a bit of everything in there. Over winter the hole fill with snow, now water. Keep in mind this was dug using a BH on the 2305 and the loader on the 2320, so the sides are very steep. Last night I started finally started moving the junk into the hole. Should I be wearing my seat belt or not? The sides of the hole could collapse send me and the machine in the bottom of the hole creating a drowning hazard. I wore it but I don't know if it was the right thing to do.

/ Who wears seat belts #70  
I wear my seatbelt religiously in my on the road vehicles [ as I now feel naked without it, trained monkey syndrome ], but my tractors seatbelt has never been pulled out more that a few inches once to look at it ...