? about off road diesel in new L3200DT

/ ? about off road diesel in new L3200DT #1  

hotdog4

Tractor
Kubota L3200
I just found out that I have a local station that sells off road diesel,and I can get it for about 50cents cheaper than on road. Will it hurt to run off road in it, I think I know the answer,but this is my first Diesel engine and would rather ask a dumb ? Than mess something up.

/ ? about off road diesel in new L3200DT #2  
That is what we run in our tractors (L3830, B7500 and BX2660). The ONLY difference in almost every case is that offroad fuel has red dye in it.

Aaron Z

/ ? about off road diesel in new L3200DT
I have been using power service additive,but if I go to the off road diesel would I still need a fuel additive to help lubricant?

/ ? about off road diesel in new L3200DT #4  
I have been using power service additive,but if I go to the off road diesel would I still need a fuel additive to help lubricant?
I would still use it as in most cases (99.9999% of the time) off road is the exact same fuel with just some red dye added, so its still ULSD.

Aaron Z

/ ? about off road diesel in new L3200DT #5  
I agree. And, you did not ask a "dumb" question. Better to check than be sorry, particularly if it's your first...:thumbsup:

/ ? about off road diesel in new L3200DT
Thanks for the help guys....I just didn't want to add additives if I didn't need them....I'm glad I found the station that sells off road diesel,because I was paying 4.19 a gallon and can get the off road for 3.69, but just wanted to make sure it wouldn't hurt the engine in my new Kubota L3200.

/ ? about off road diesel in new L3200DT #7  
The off road fuel is cheaper because the taxes are less on it since its intended for farming etc. Its red so the truck enforcement teams can tell if you use it for on road use. Big fines for that I'm told.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ ? about off road diesel in new L3200DT #8  
The off road fuel is cheaper because the taxes are less on it since its intended for farming etc. Its red so the truck enforcement teams can tell if you use it for on road use. Big fines for that I'm told.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

I have heard the fine is $10,000 from someone who got hit. I have a 300 gallon tank of off road ULSD and would never put it in my truck. My distributor says it is the same except for the die.

/ ? about off road diesel in new L3200DT #9  
What if you have a dump truck with farm plates? I use it to haul gravel from the quarry and my neighbor says its okay to use the red dye diesel as long as I have farm plates on the truck.

/ ? about off road diesel in new L3200DT #10  
What if you have a dump truck with farm plates?...

I would say that will be different in each state.

Virginia says its ok with the "FARM USE" plates you can buy at the farm store but I've been told the Feds say it isn't. (Kind of like some states and medical marijuana)

Red fuel is not legal, however, in the DMV issued "FARM VEHICLE" tags, at least not here.

Last edited: