Anyone switch away from SUDT and then back to describe difference?

/ Anyone switch away from SUDT and then back to describe difference? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
A few years back in my B7800 I switched away from Kubota SUDT to JD trans oil just because I had some. Now I'm thinking of switching back to Kubota SUDT. Anyone else do this and notice a difference in transmission performance or gear whine? I've keep hearing good things about the Kubota SUDT oil.

/ Anyone switch away from SUDT and then back to describe difference? #2  
If you need to buy the oil...may as well use the SuperUDT2 that Kubota sells...

/ Anyone switch away from SUDT and then back to describe difference? #3  
Several people with HST over the past few years have posted that they changed and had worse results/whine and changed back to Kubota SUDT. Some of them may or may not see this post. I've nevr considered changing myself but no other brand has offered to provide me free fluids if I'll try theirs. Until they do, I won't.:) And not sure I would even if they did.

/ Anyone switch away from SUDT and then back to describe difference? #4  
I used Tractor Supply's house brand for my first change (though it had been serviced by the previous owner). I suspect it had the older UDT when I bought it.

Anyway, with the TSC, it worked fine, no foaming, power loss, etc. But it did whine more, and that dropped off dramatically when I switched over to Super UDT on my last change.

I've read that the BX series are more susceptible to the whine issues due to valving sizes.

Paul

/ Anyone switch away from SUDT and then back to describe difference? #5  
I did my 400 hrs service with TSC. This is on an L3240 with a GST (shuttle) tranny. No noticeable difference, so far, but I'll see how it goes this Winter before I form a final opinion. Cost was a lot less for 15 gallons. Needed 11-12 to refill, so I've got some for topping off. I'll be keeping SUDT/SUDT2 in the new B2320 since it's got an HST tranny, and based on comments here about reduced whine with the SUDT.

Last edited:
   / Anyone switch away from SUDT and then back to describe difference?
Yes, I think the only real issue is only with the HST transmissions. I use Deere trans fluid in gear drive Kubotas with no problem but the B7800 HST whined more than I thought it should. On the belief that the whine means something, I switched back to super UDT and the excess whine is gone. The tractor "feels" better as well in that it seems "tighter" in the gears when in use.

It's probably just because it's a synthetic but until someone else can compare some other brand of synthetic we won't know for sure.

/ Anyone switch away from SUDT and then back to describe difference? #7  
I agree 100%.

/ Anyone switch away from SUDT and then back to describe difference? #8  
When my L3940 hit 50 hours I replaced the factory UDT fluid with Mobil 424 which I thought was a little better than the stock fluid.

Last month I did the 400 hour service and switched to the new SUDT2 and can't believe the difference. Much quieter, better loader and HST controls and my sticky 3rd function is almost healed.

Best change I have ever made.

/ Anyone switch away from SUDT and then back to describe difference? #9  
I'll stick with SUDT2 even though I have gear drive.
I feel the hydraulics will work better and last longer with the better oil.

/ Anyone switch away from SUDT and then back to describe difference? #10  
On my 1999 l4310 with 1958 hours i switched from udt to sudt2 and the difference is unbelievable. So much quiter and smoother running.