B7100 Bush Hog Suggestion

/ B7100 Bush Hog Suggestion #1  

lanman

Tractor
Kubota
Any suggestions for size and type of bush hog for my Kubota B7100? Thanks

/ B7100 Bush Hog Suggestion #2  
:welcome: From Ohio, At 13 HP you can run a 36 inch cutter.

/ B7100 Bush Hog Suggestion #3  
Welcome to TractorByNet.

/ B7100 Bush Hog Suggestion #4  
Ianman;

I owned a Kubota B7100 for 10 years and during that time mowed my lawns with a Farm King 5 foot finish mower. It weighed 550 lbs. The B7100 couldn't even lift it off the ground unless I was moving forward and at full revs. The mower was rated for tractors between 15-25 hp so the Kubota was at the lowest end.

Having said that the little monster towed that mower for 10 years without incident. I also have a decent hill to climb and it did that without problem as well. I always mowed in 4th gear.

I now have a 35 hp CT 235 Bobcat using the same mower.

Yes, the 5 foot finish mower was a bit too big but the Kubota chugged right along. The 4 foot model would have been just right and not too big in my opinion.

Fred

/ B7100 Bush Hog Suggestion #5  
He is talking bush mower not finish mower. 4 ft is the smallest you can get, I think.

/ B7100 Bush Hog Suggestion #6  
I have never had problems with either light-duty or heavy-duty four foot mowers on by B7100. I have used an old Ford branded light weight one that I gave away a few years ago, a light weight Farm-Force, and a heavy duty, pro-model King Cutter. No problems with any of them. One thing I like about it when using a lightweight mower is that if I hit something that hangs the mower blades up, it will lug down the engine rather than breaking the sheer bolt. On my JD 3005, I can break a sheer bolt on the light weight farm force just by starting it up too fast.

On another topic, mowing an open field with the B7100 is bouncy and tedious, I much prefer the bigger, heavier, gear-transmission Deere. But around buildings and small lots the B7100 [with hydrostatic transmission] is my preference.

Mf

/ B7100 Bush Hog Suggestion #8  
With three suitcase weights on the front your tractor should balance a 430 pound 48" rotary mower o.k. My Bolens G174 is about the same size, and I'm basing my opinion on that. In 2WD the Bolens can't always pull the mower around corners, though. I usually work in 4WD on the turf tires. Most grass and weed cutting isn't all that demanding of engine power. If you can find a 42" rotary mower, it would likely be a good fit, but they're pretty scarce.

BTW: You'll certainly need an over-running ratchet gear attachment to go between your PTO outlet and the PTO shaft on the mower. Without the over-runing clutch the rotary mower blades become a flywheel directly connected to the tractor's rear wheels: they stop when the blades stop. This produces a terrifying surge of adrenaline the first time it happens. Note: just because a finish mower will stop without an overrunning clutch does not mean a rotary mower will behave. They're different.

Hope this helps,

Rod

/ B7100 Bush Hog Suggestion #9  
Hi,
My B7100 HST,is a "second series" model, the overrunning clutch is built in and for what it is worth it has been running a 4' bushhog for 1500+hours. It is a heavier model made of quarter plate steel. And it can be a wild ride with two 55lb weights on the front if the rear tire is lifted off the ground. Yes I might have also pushed it into a few 2" trees here and there but who knows...
Keep the radiator clean and enjoy your tractor.
Ken

/ B7100 Bush Hog Suggestion #10  
If you are buying new, I would look at those 42" units.If you have one or are looking to not spend much money, you can make a 4' unit work-just take small bites if you need to and be careful with all that weight back there.

Will