Oil & Fuel I put car gas in my Kubota diesel!

/ I put car gas in my Kubota diesel! #11  
Unfortunately, I filled the whole tank.

In that case make a serious effort to get it out of everything before trying to start. And again - be sure to add something for lubricity.

Last edited:
   / I put car gas in my Kubota diesel! #12  
I seriously can not see how a person can do this?

Hope it's not too bad...

/ I put car gas in my Kubota diesel! #13  
Unfortunately, I filled the whole tank.

How much diesel was in the tank before filling? It is the ratio of gas to diesel that matters. With only 5 minutes, assuming 2 or 3 of those were on the diesel that was in the fuel system, filter bowl, etc. you probably didn't do serious damage even if it was mostly gas after mixing with the diesel that was in the tank. Drain it 100%, add diesel and go. I would not let it sit with the gas in the system if it were me. Gas is a solvent, diesel a lubricant.

/ I put car gas in my Kubota diesel! #14  
You should know when you start using it again...

My Dealer had a BX all torn down... the owner let his brother in law borrow it and his nephew filled it with gas and keep running it till the motor seized...

Worst case scenario and that didn't happen to you.

/ I put car gas in my Kubota diesel! #15  
Part of owning a tractor is always being in serious trouble./edit - like being married

One of the best axioms I've read on TBN. How true,how true.

/ I put car gas in my Kubota diesel! #16  
I seriously can not see how a person can do this?

Hope it's not too bad...
It's a fairly easy mistake to make. That's why there are YELLOW gas cans for Diesel and RED gas cans for gasoline. Works for me. Best wishes to the OP.

/ I put car gas in my Kubota diesel! #17  
Lets approach this engine wise. Most you could have done was surface burn some valves and caked up some oil which will blow out when you burn diesel. The biggest issue was did the engine provide sufficient lubrication when firing with gasoline. Considering gas engines are not made to withstand the compression of diesels, you shouldn't worry about strength issues. Heat was the only thing that could create some damage if it ran long enough but keep in mind diesel ignition is a much more violent proposition as it relies solely on compression to build enough heat to ignite. Drain the gas, fill up with diesel and you should be good to go.

/ I put car gas in my Kubota diesel!
Thanks, guys. I will be heading back up to the cottage tomorrow, and I will drain the tank, of course, but I need to also figure out how to drain all of the lines, the filters, the injectors etc.

How it happened was that we had I can of old regular gas that had been put in a yellow diesel can, and then forgot what was in there. I think there might have even been some 40:1 mixed gas in there.

Aaargh! Why me?😢

/ I put car gas in my Kubota diesel! #19  
If it is mixed with the oil it will be good. You may want to add a couple quarts of trans. fluid to the new diesel fuel for added lubrication. This something a older diesel mechanic suggested years ago. I normally fill the filters with trans fluid instead of diesel. I was told it will clean and lubricate the pump and injectors. Anyone have any thoughts on this???

/ I put car gas in my Kubota diesel! #20  
Thanks, guys. I will be heading back up to the cottage tomorrow, and I will drain the tank, of course, but I need to also figure out how to drain all of the lines, the filters, the injectors etc.

How it happened was that we had I can of old regular gas that had been put in a yellow diesel can, and then forgot what was in there. I think there might have even been some 40:1 mixed gas in there.

Aaargh! Why me?
If you cannot easily drain the line just crack it at the injectors. After changing everything you can PROBABLY just leave the injectors cracked and pump (crank the engine) until good diesel squirts out. It might be worthwhile to make an effort to buy some off-road diesel so you can see the red coming out.