Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Default Re: I put car gas in my Kubota diesel!

Quote Originally Posted by check View Post
    How it happened was that we had I can of old regular gas that had been put in a yellow diesel can, and then forgot what was in there. I think there might have even been some 40:1 mixed gas in there.
    Not to rub it in, but this is why they make the fuel cans different colors, so... no more gas in the yellow can, mkay?

Once upon a time, a bonfire was starting to spread a bit, and a friend of mine went to pour water on the grass where it was spreading. He grabbed one of the blue containers that was nearby, because blue = water, right?

Tractor
    Kubota X 4

Blue Kerosene Light Blue water.

David Kb7uns
    Grand L3130GST LA723 Loader, ATI grapple, ATI grapple bucket, WR Long front remote, Kubota rear remotes, Bradco 408 Backhoe with thumb, 60"KK brush hog, 60" RM Finish Mower, Speeco Post Auger, 72" KK rear blade, 60" box blade
    BX2230 LA211, RCK60, GCK60 Bagger,42"Land Pride Tiller, XB BB, XB RB, rake, Fimco 3PT sprayer
    G2160 RCK60 Mower
    RTV1100 Orange, Work Lights, Front Rear Winch,Rear Screen, High Mount air cleaner, water seperator
    2010 Polaris RZR 800 S
    2007 CAN AM Outlander 800 LTD

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3800DT, L3750DT Shuttle

Quote Originally Posted by creekbend View Post
    It's a fairly easy mistake to make. That's why there are YELLOW gas cans for Diesel and RED gas cans for gasoline. Works for me. Best wishes to the OP.
    I still can't see it being an easy mistake. Besides the color of the cans, diesel looks and smells different also...
    Don
    Kubota L3750 Hydro Shuttle, 4wd, FEL; L3800 Gear drive, 4wd, FEL
    Husqvarna XP chainsaws 346xp X3, 357xp, 562xp, 359

Tractor
    JD 5055E

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill2 View Post
    I still can't see it being an easy mistake. Besides the color of the cans, diesel looks and smells different also...
    Things happen. I once put rum in my coffee thinking it was sugar. Go figure.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX22

Although diesel engines are built to withstand high compression, one issue is that the gasoline will ignite at the wrong time, (combustion before or after TDC) which can cause shock to the engine. If you only ran it for 5 minutes at say 3,500 RPM, that would amount to 17,500 events, which is a really tiny fraction of the revolutions the motor makes in a lifetime...just saying. Anyway, as others have already stated, drain the tank, change filters, fill with diesel and go from there. My guess is it won't happen again.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Notforhire View Post
    Things happen. I once put rum in my coffee thinking it was sugar. Go figure.
    I once had a small can of stain and a box of candy sitting on a counter I was staining. I'd stain a while and then pick up the box and pour a few candies into my mouth. Everything went fine until I picked up the stain and poured it into my mouth. Things really do happen.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3930

Quote Originally Posted by stuckmotor View Post
    I once had a small can of stain and a box of candy sitting on a counter I was staining. I'd stain a while and then pick up the box and pour a few candies into my mouth. Everything went fine until I picked up the stain and poured it into my mouth. Things really do happen.
    An uncle of mine was a fiddle player, of local note (pun intended).

I remember him describing rushing to head out to play a dance, after barn chores. Back then, shaving cream also came in toothpaste tube containers...... I suspect he only made that mistake once.

He did end up with really clean teeth though !

Rgds, D.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3930

In respect to the OP, a buddy of mine had the opposite problem with his local low-lifes (low-lives?).

They stole his gas cans, and selected the one (unmarked) yellow diesel can that also contained gas.

You could say that meth-heads have an affinity for chemicals, but that would be a redundant statement.

Rgds, D.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L285

Quote Originally Posted by stuckmotor

Wow, that's worse than hydraulic fluid in my beer, which has been know to happen,
    Last edited by paulharvey; 05-20-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Numerous

Quote Originally Posted by check View Post
    Unfortunately, I filled the whole tank.
    Not good at all.

Drain the tank completely. Remove and replace the fuel filter. Thoroughly bleed the primary fuel lines. Loosen the injector lines and crank (do not start) the engine to check for gasoline. If you find gasoline, loosen the injector lines on both lines to drain. Thoroughly bleed the injector lines. Start the engine.

If the pump has been damaged, you will know in short order.

SDT

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast