Oil & Fuel I put car gas in my Kubota diesel!

/ I put car gas in my Kubota diesel! #41  
Things happen. I once put rum in my coffee thinking it was sugar. Go figure.:confused3:

Oh wow, I can't imagine putting rum in coffee instead of whiskey and butter.

/ I put car gas in my Kubota diesel! #42  
this thread is causing more worry than necessary. Do as what everyone reomended. drain the tank and lines. cycle diesel through there and fire the machine up. Report back. should be just fine.

/ I put car gas in my Kubota diesel!
this thread is causing more worry than necessary. Do as what everyone reomended. drain the tank and lines. cycle diesel through there and fire the machine up. Report back. should be just fine.

Hey, guys, I'm fine now, as I mentioned in my May 20 post (reproduced below)

"Meanwhile, back at the ranch, here is how I saved my tractor. I siphoned out the fuel tank, but of course you cannot get it all, so then I uncovered part of the engine cover. (Just enough to get at the fuel filter, otherwise I would have had to take the grille guard off and maybe even the FEL.) Then, I disconnected the fuel filter and shook out the gas. Then, I turned the key part way, which fortunately starts the fuel pump, and which conveniently pumped out the rest of the gas in the tank. Then I filled the tank with fresh diesel (bought today), and ran the fuel pump again for a while. Then I put it all back together, crossed my fingers and toes, and fired it up. It ran rough for maybe 5 seconds then smoothed out and ran like a top. Who could ask for anything more?

Thanks again guys, for all the help. Long live TBN!
"

But I will change the oil and filter - just to be safe!

James

/ I put car gas in my Kubota diesel! #44  
If it were my tractor I would check the valve clearance. Like I said earlier, when I did this years ago to a JD 970 what happened was it warped all my valves in the head. Gas fires off quicker than diesel and before the valves fully close. That is why you feel the loss of power. Firing off before a valve closes over heats the valve (can't transfer heat to the valve seat). Since you say it's now running fine that is great news but I would check the valve clearance. Note: I'm new to the Kubota world so if your tractor has hydraulic lifters then ignore what I wrote. On the JD they are solid lifters.

/ I put car gas in my Kubota diesel! #45  
If it were my tractor I would check the valve clearance. Like I said earlier, when I did this years ago to a JD 970 what happened was it warped all my valves in the head. Gas fires off quicker than diesel and before the valves fully close. That is why you feel the loss of power. Firing off before a valve closes over heats the valve (can't transfer heat to the valve seat). Since you say it's now running fine that is great news but I would check the valve clearance. Note: I'm new to the Kubota world so if your tractor has hydraulic lifters then ignore what I wrote. On the JD they are solid lifters.

Pure organic Male Bovine fertilizer. How does the gasoline get into the combustion chamber before the intake valves closes? The combustion chamber only contains compressed air until the fuel injection even somewhere between 5 and 30 degrees before top dead Center.
While diesel is usually rated in Cetane and the easier the diesel lights the better. Diesel also has an octane rating and it's much lower than 87 octane gasoline.

/ I put car gas in my Kubota diesel! #48  
I still can't see it being an easy mistake. Besides the color of the cans, diesel looks and smells different also...

In support of the OP, here's two much stupider things I've done:
1. Used my wife's tube of preparation H to brush my teeth (prep H looks and smells much different than toothpaste)
2. Sprayed my popcorn with silicon ski wax because the can is yellow and looks just like PAM artificial butter. (tasted and smelled very different)

/ I put car gas in my Kubota diesel! #49  
The new bx at the dealership was ran with gas until the motor seized and valves did get damaged...

/ I put car gas in my Kubota diesel! #50  
The new bx at the dealership was ran with gas until the motor seized and valves did get damaged...

There's someplace I wouldn't be anxious to buy a tractor from! Or have one serviced at for that matter.....

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet