Mowing Building a mower chute blocker for a BX OCDC

/ Building a mower chute blocker for a BX OCDC #1  

Scooby074

Tractor
BX 25, ZD 326
A project Im working on is to build a chute blocker for my BX. If you dont know, it is a manual flap (some call it an OCDC or Operator Controlled Discharge Chute). It allows you to close off the chute when mowing near trees or gardens to prevent throwing clippings on your mulch or in your plants. Not only is this neater, it helps to keep weeds from growing where you dont want them!

Here's a video of one in operation.

Mine will be hand operated however, similar to this commercial one.
tt_BB-1.jpg
Started making it with a piece of checkerplate. Deck bracket is 1"x1/4 flatbar

Open

More to come

/ Building a mower chute blocker for a BX OCDC #2  
Whoahhhh...

I neeeeed one of those

Never heard of it but seems like a great idea.
Curious to see how the grass behaves while bottled up.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll be watching intently. What deck is that?

/ Building a mower chute blocker for a BX OCDC
Mower is a 54 fine cut on a Bx.

/ Building a mower chute blocker for a BX OCDC #4  
Looks like a nice project,allows you to use your new Miller :thumbsup: Will you still be able to use the plastic flap or does that have to be removed?

Looks like a nice project,allows you to use your new Miller :thumbsup: Will you still be able to use the plastic flap or does that have to be removed?

Yep, great project for the new welder:D

I chose to make mine so that the plastic flap is removed for a couple reasons, 1. Having that huge flap sticking out over 1' was a PITA . Now I can edge with both sides of the tractor. 2. Having a wide open chute allows clippings to disperse much better.

Build pics and vids to come

/ Building a mower chute blocker for a BX OCDC #6  
Hmmm, need to do this for our BX2660 and the 60" deck...

Aaron Z

Hmmm, need to do this for our BX2660 and the 60" deck...

Aaron Z

Yes. I mowed tonite and the difference is amazing. A great addition. Being able to mow both directions without worrying where your clippings are going is invaluable.

/ Building a mower chute blocker for a BX OCDC #8  
Yes. I mowed tonite and the difference is amazing. A great addition. Being able to mow both directions without worrying where your clippings are going is invaluable.
Or mowing next to the road, flowerbed and/or hayfield without dumping clippings where you dont want them...

Aaron Z

Build Pics:
Test Fit

Hinges

Test install

Welding the hinges in place. Hinges are 1"x1/4 flatbar for strength

Or mowing next to the road, flowerbed and/or hayfield without dumping clippings where you dont want them...

Aaron Z

Exactly. I can mo around the trees and the deck without shooting clippings all over the place.. I can even close it near the vehicles (or windows) to keep rocks from hitting them. Much safer