Mowing BX2370 bush hog size question

/ BX2370 bush hog size question #1  

howie70

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
I have been looking for a 48" bush hog for my BX2370. The salesman told me it would handle a 48" with no problem. Looking at the manual it states the max width of a rear mount mower as 60", but a max weight of 309. This makes no sense to me since most 48" cutters I have looked at are between 400-450 pounds. Anyone here run a 48" bush hog on their BX23? If so, you know the weight of it?

/ BX2370 bush hog size question #2  
I think you may be looking under a finishing mower in the manual. The manual says you can use up to a 42" wide rotary cutter. Most people run a 48" so it is wider than their rear tires. I have never heard anyone say it is under powered. A BX will lift a 450lb rotary cutter. You will need weights or a loader on the front.

/ BX2370 bush hog size question #4  
What Bullitt said, it will run a 48" with no real problem, but depending on the cutter makes the front end a little light, so as always ballast properly.

/ BX2370 bush hog size question
I think you may be looking under a finishing mower in the manual. The manual says you can use up to a 42" wide rotary cutter. Most people run a 48" so it is wider than their rear tires. I have never heard anyone say it is under powered. A BX will lift a 450lb rotary cutter. You will need weights or a loader on the front.
You are correct. I was looking at finish mowers. With that said, the weight limit still states 309. Even the 42" bush hogs I have looked at are in the 400 pound range. I have a loader to coounter balance, but I also have some hills. If I was just bush hogging flat ground I wouldn't be as concerned. jb below mentions the 48 makes his front end light and he has a bucket also.

/ BX2370 bush hog size question #6  
I have a 42" cutter which is the max according to kubota and its no where near at its limit. You should have no problem with a 48" . If I did it again I'd go 48". Just don't ever forget to remove the pto shaft like I did.

/ BX2370 bush hog size question #7  
Our RCR1248 48" Land Pride at 400 pounds makes the front end of our BX2660 light "without" a FEL, but with one mounted, it handles our hilly terrain quite well. I can run it on flat ground without a FEL. I discussed the proper cutter with my dealer before buying. I don't operate it on real steep hills though.

/ BX2370 bush hog size question #8  
I wouldnt worry too much about specs. Many BX's have run 48 cutters without issues. Its just another fine example of kubota manual not being correct or conflicting.
In my BX manual- it says not to use liquid ballast with BH on and to remove the liquid ballast. I mean come on - who really pumps the CACL or rimguard out of the tires before hooking up the BH to do work? Then pump back in after you are done?! :confused2:

Same goes with the bush bog - get the 40 to 48 wide cutter and you will be fine .

/ BX2370 bush hog size question #9  
On my 2660, I run a 48" Woods Brush Bull with no problems. It weighs around 480 lbs. As noted, you have to have some counter balance on the front. The FEL has been adequate for that in my use. You do know you have something back there though!

/ BX2370 bush hog size question
Thanks for all the replies! I feel more comfortable now looking at 4'ers. Just need to find one before it sells on craigslist.