$500 for Kubota RTV 900 front axle!!??

/ $500 for Kubota RTV 900 front axle!!?? #1  

Timm250

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 w/1600 hrs., Case Farmall 95 w/800 hrs., Long 2510 w/1100 hrs, Cat 236B2 Skidsteer w/1000 hrs
I have a Kubota RTV 900 with 1500 hours. The out board boot on the axle had a split in it & dirt got inside causing the bearing to break. You can't buy the parts to repair the joint you have to replace the whole axle @a cost of $500+ for the parts + my labor. Does anyone know if one of these can be rebuilt?

/ $500 for Kubota RTV 900 front axle!!?? #2  
Check the yellow pages and see if a machine shop in your area works on drive shafts. A shop that does can replace the CV on the axle.

/ $500 for Kubota RTV 900 front axle!!?? #3  
I'd take the axle to a front-end shop that rebuilds them. They may be able to match it up with something. I had a Yamaha Big Bear that the CV joint went out on. I took it to a frontend shop and they matched it to a Subaru Brat front CV shaft. The Subaru shaft was a fraction of the cost of a Yamaha shaft and still in the wheeler when I sold it 10 years later.

/ $500 for Kubota RTV 900 front axle!!??
I have checked with several auto parts & no one could recommend where to take it to be rebuilt. Kubota has a lot of proprietary parts on the RTVS. There is an oil seal that I need as well &it is $54. I have tried several industrial supply places & auto parts but no one can cross it over to a reasonably priced replacement.

/ $500 for Kubota RTV 900 front axle!!?? #5  
Keep trying it is very unlikely that Kubota is going to use one off special parts for something they are going to sell for a profit. Find someone who has done this before and see what they used. American motors built a lot of cars from other peoples parts. This is even more the trend today. You might have to actually go and stand in front of someone at the parts supply house. It is to easy for them to say it can not be done over the phone. I just fixed my Kubota front end loader using part of a riding lawn mower's left rear axle shaft. Do not just toss the 500 dollars down for the part until it is a last resort.

/ $500 for Kubota RTV 900 front axle!!?? #6  
I have checked with several auto parts & no one could recommend where to take it to be rebuilt. Kubota has a lot of proprietary parts on the RTVS. There is an oil seal that I need as well &it is $54. I have tried several industrial supply places & auto parts but no one can cross it over to a reasonably priced replacement.

Where is the oil seal, the front end also?

/ $500 for Kubota RTV 900 front axle!!??
Where is the oil seal, the front end also?

Yes it is where the axle goes through the knuckle housing the brakes. I worked in industrial maintenance & tool & die for about 15 years about 1/2 of that time as a supervisor so I have some pretty good connections for getting parts & so far no one is able to help.

/ $500 for Kubota RTV 900 front axle!!?? #8  
Keep trying it is very unlikely that Kubota is going to use one off special parts for something they are going to sell for a profit.

actually Kubota does this all the time. engineering something the way they want always seems to ***** using common parts.

/ $500 for Kubota RTV 900 front axle!!?? #9  
Actually $500 for a cv is not bad. Being in the farming industry we use cv knuckles on a lot of equipment. Usually we are into the 4 digits to replace a cv and when we do it always involves the half shaft with the cv.

/ $500 for Kubota RTV 900 front axle!!?? #10  
Hey, hope you were able to find something to fix this, as it's been well...3 years? But for those who stumble across this now, it's worth having a browse on americancvstore.com - they have Kubota parts and full axle sets for not $500. :)