BX22: Rebuild/Replace Rear CV Joint

/ BX22: Rebuild/Replace Rear CV Joint #1  

DOC4444

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX22
Thanks to excellent input from here, I was able to remove the trans cooling fan with several missing blades and install the new fan on the hub. (No cutting required.) However, I found that whatever broke off half the blades on the fan at some point, also completely removed the boot. I cleaned out the packed-in dirt and, not surprisingly, it is sloppy. Looking at the parts breakdown, it looks like replacing most of the internals can be done.

However, given that it may have run as much as 500 hours with no boot in place, packed with mud, would it be wiser to replace the whole joint, including the outer coupling?

Also, are any of the CV parts or a compatible whole joint available at any common auto parts stores? None of the Kubota dealers anywhere near me are open until Tuesday.

And, is it important to put everything back together exactly as it came apart for balance reasons? I marked everything so I could do that, but if I replace the whole joint with a new one, that will obviously not be possible.

Is there a BX22 shop manual available in an electronic version anywhere on the web?

Thanks as always,

DOC

/ BX22: Rebuild/Replace Rear CV Joint #2  
I had ripped my boot. I disassembled the CV and saw no signs of unusual wear. I cleaned and amply greased and reassembled with a new boot. Now several hundred hours on the CV with no problem.

paul

/ BX22: Rebuild/Replace Rear CV Joint
Is there a source for a replacement boot other than a Kubota dealer? If not, I guess I will just bring the joint with me to the dealer on Tuesday and they can tell me whether I need a new joint or just a boot.

Thanks,

DOC

/ BX22: Rebuild/Replace Rear CV Joint #4  
Order from Messick. You should have in in 1 or 2 days. You should not need a joint unless it got chewed up from the dirt, but that would take some time.

paul

Would 500 hours with no boot and packed with dirt qualify? I have bought parts from Messicks in the past when I had more time. Need to get tractor back in service a few days ago. Can you provide some sort of guidelines I can apply myself to judge the condition of the joint? (I assume the dealer may be eager to inform me the joint needs immediate replacement.) However, I really do not want to have to repeat this process anytime soon, so I need to get it as taken care of as much as possible in one operation.

Thanks again for your input,

DOC

Last edited:
   / BX22: Rebuild/Replace Rear CV Joint #6  
I just went through replacing both CV joint boots on my BX23 a few weeks back. The tractor has 580 hours now and the boots just started to fall apart. I spotted the problem early, when I found a piece of one of the boots laying on the parking pad.

When I had the joints apart and checking their condition, I noticed there was quite a bit of slop in the fit. There was what looked like normal wear, but the ball fit in both the hub and outer cup seems to have been built to a loose tolerance. As long as it will transmit the power to the transmission, I'm not going to worry about it. By the way, the boots were only $2 and change each.

With CV joints there is not the same worry about lining everything up. Unlike a normal cross type joint, the CV joint doesn't speed up and slow down the assembly while angled... CV=constant velocity.

Last edited:
   / BX22: Rebuild/Replace Rear CV Joint #7  
If you are in need, just clean and repack the CV joint. Then order a replacement. You should get enough time out of it as it is unlikely to catastrophically fail if it is just warn. It is a no loss proposition. Order a new one and run the old one till it fails.

paul

/ BX22: Rebuild/Replace Rear CV Joint #8  
If you are in need, just clean and repack the CV joint. Then order a replacement. You should get enough time out of it as it is unlikely to catastrophically fail if it is just warn. It is a no loss proposition. Order a new one and run the old one till it fails.

paul

... or until you don't need the machine for a few days and have time to do the repair. Less chances for collateral damage that way.

I got the joint apart and each of the grooves has a good size dent from the balls being stuck that is at least 30 thou deep. I think it is time for a new coupling and balls. Maybe the cage is OK. Will bring parts to dealer to examine.

Thanks again,

DOC