Why it's a bad idea to put your tractor on a car hoist

/ Why it's a bad idea to put your tractor on a car hoist #1  

Rod in Forfar

Platinum Member
Tractor
1960 Massey Ferguson 35 (Perkins), 1995 TAFE 35DI, 1980 Bolens G174, 2005 Kubota B7510, 2020 Kioti Mechron 2200ps UTV Troy-Bilt Horse 2 1988 Case IH 255 4WD with loader and cab
This one's for the archives because when I went looking, no one had written anything on the subject.

Why it is a bad idea to raise a Kubota tractor on a car hoist | Walnut Diary
IMG_6518.jpg

/ Why it's a bad idea to put your tractor on a car hoist #2  
The way the writer did it (park brake on and tires sitting on planks sitting on 6 inch square lift pads) would be dangerous. But, some of the lift manufacturers make tire pan attachments for their lift arms that cup the tires. And some make drive on ramp attachments too. With most of our tractors weighing much less that a full sized truck I don't see a problem with it as long as you have the correct attachment to keep it in place on the lift arms.

/ Why it's a bad idea to put your tractor on a car hoist #3  
I don't see the problem in the photo. (And the link is blocked.)

/ Why it's a bad idea to put your tractor on a car hoist #4  
Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know not to lift that in the air by the tires like that. Especially anyone that owns a lift ought to know better

/ Why it's a bad idea to put your tractor on a car hoist #5  
I was expecting something about the ROPS putting a hole in the ceiling .

/ Why it's a bad idea to put your tractor on a car hoist #6  
How do those air hose reels work? Normally the shaft of the reel has a connection from the air supply, but I don't see anything going into the ceiling or wall.

/ Why it's a bad idea to put your tractor on a car hoist #7  
How do those air hose reels work? Normally the shaft of the reel has a connection from the air supply, but I don't see anything going into the ceiling or wall.

Must be in middle of install, I can see the empty inlet port on the L/S one.

/ Why it's a bad idea to put your tractor on a car hoist #8  
This could be done safely but not the way he did it.

/ Why it's a bad idea to put your tractor on a car hoist #9  
2 post lifts are designed to lift from the center of gravity of the car. The center needs to be as close as possible to the lift's posts. The further it's off the more force you put on the lag bolts. If you have loaded rear tires you will be putting too much weight on one side of the lift unless you account for the extra weight. It may not fail the first time but that doesn't mean you're safe to do it repeatedly. Every manual for 2 post lifts I have seen always have a section on how to determine where the center of gravity is for generic vehicles with warnings that death can result if you get it wrong.

/ Why it's a bad idea to put your tractor on a car hoist #10  
And the guy would stand under it just to get the blades off? Way too high, off balance, and relying on brakes to keep it on the tire pads?

5' off the floor needed to reach under there with the expected impact wrench & the 'shortcut' to share is about his carpentry? :rolleyes:

Well, they spelled the 'nut' part right. Anyone for 'Walnut Epitaph'?

I'll be looking for a pic of the Kubo dangling from either post by the ROPS. :D