MX5100

/ MX5100 #1  

Express

Silver Member
Tractor
L4600 Hst
Does anyone know what a 50hr would cost parts/labor?Reside in Ct

/ MX5100 #2  
2 or 4wd, Hst or gear driven? Changing hydraulic fluid or just the filter(s)? 4wd Hst with full hydraulic oil change and front axle oil change, I would guess about $800.

Brian

/ MX5100 #3  
I suspect it will be in the $350 range. My dealer suggested it and I did my own. Looking on page 52 of the operator's manual, it indicates that engine oil and filter and the transmission oil filter for the HST are the only items needed. Mine is the gear model so the oil filter and oil from the dealer was $60. I changed the hydraulic system filter for good measure - $35. You might need a gallon of transmission oil.

Other than that it requires that the tractor be greased, clutch play be adjusted and that wheel bolts and nuts be torqued. I suggest that the FEL frame bolts be torqued and that you go over the tractor with a wrench and make sure everything is tight. Check your antifreeze level and specifc gravity for freeze protection, air pressure in tires and clean the screen in front of the radiator. Air filter should be fine but check it and blow it out if it has accumulated a bunch of stuff.

All of these things a typical tractor owner can and should be able to do - keep your receipts and record service dates. You won't void your warranty. I used Kubota filters and oil.

/ MX5100 #4  
I did my own 50 hour. If you take your time its not so messy. I changed front axle & gear cases lube, engine oil & filter and trans fluid and filters. The bill for all the oils & filters, from the Kubota dealer, engine oil - 3 gal + 2qt = $90, Oil filter = $15, Hyd fluid - 20 gal = $300, hyd filters(2) = $45. Front axle and gear case lube was $20. Total was $470, if my math is correct. If I would have had the dealer do this the labor would have been equal or more than the materials plus $275 for hauling the tractor to and back from the dealer. The remainder of the 50 hr service - greasing everything, clutch play, wheel nuts torque & tire pressure just take time. The decision to do this myself was easy. Besides I'm set up to do this on all my other equipment anyhow.

/ MX5100 #5  
If I can do a 50 hour on a Kubota, trust me YOU can do a 50 hour on your tractor. I am an office worker. I don't know what you do for a living, but I bet you can do the minor work to do the 50 hour on the tractor. Besides it is almost fun. Unlike my new Kioti with the welded on Hydraulic filter the 'bota was pretty easy. No suprises and easy to do. Mine was the HST so the extra filter, but still easy. Save the money, get all Kubota filters and have fun. If you don't know how to start, start watching You-Tube

James K0UA

/ MX5100 #6  
<snip> If you don't know how to start, start watching You-Tube

James K0UA

Do you have a suggested set of GREAT links for You tube?

Just searching:

50 hour service Kubota MX5100 site:youtube.com

brings up about 50 links.

/edit - and none specific for the mx5100

That would be handy if we built up a reference source for doing these things.

/ MX5100 #7  
According to the Kubota Operators Manual for the MX4700/MX5100, Front Axle and Transmission do not require a change at 50 hours. I am looking at pages 52 and 53 with the maintenance intervals. There is a balance between the extended intervals listed (400 hours) and driving up the cost of ownership with unnecessary maintenance. I wonder if a dealer would follow the manual's maintenance interval or recommend so other interval AND what the rationale would be for varying fom Kubota's manual?

If you can change the oil in a lawn mower you can do this.

/ MX5100 #8  
I checked with the Shop Foreman at the Kubota dealer and he said to go with the manual, but some feel better changing all fluids; always gets hot when this is brought up. Either way you go, it is not hard.

/ MX5100 #9  
Do you have a suggested set of GREAT links for You tube?

Just searching:

50 hour service Kubota MX5100 site:youtube.com

brings up about 50 links.

/edit - and none specific for the mx5100

That would be handy if we built up a reference source for doing these things.

I thought the one for the L3400 was pretty good, A 3 part series, and the mx5100 is not enough different to matter. Just consult the manual after watching the video, and he should be good to go.

/ MX5100
Thank you all for the input. I'm aircraft mechanic. I think I can handle it. I just don't want them to give me any problems with warranty if I do the 50hr myself