Mowing 72" Mid Mount Mower Tip & Plow Question

/ 72" Mid Mount Mower Tip & Plow Question #1  

RBrown

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 Cab & RTV 900
72\" Mid Mount Mower Tip & Plow Question

I've now had my 2710 for a couple of months now and still love it as much as I did when I got it. However, Kubota really doesn't supply the best manual, especially for the 72" mid mount mower. In the manual it states that after each season of use release the tension on the belt during storage. Great idea but no directions as to how to do it. After many bad ideas I did come up with one that was cheap, safe, and worked well. I bought a 2 ton come-along and hooked one end on to the arm of the belt tensioner pully and hooked the other end around the wheel support bracket. I simply used the come-along to release the tension, I removed the belt, and then gently released the come-along. I also have a question about plows. I am going to purchase either a one bottom 14" plow or a 15" middle buster to use in the garden. I would really like a tiller, but cannot justify the cost. Does anyone have any experience with a middle buster? It seems like it would do a good job of preparing the garden in the spring and clearing it in the fall. I also remember reading about how hard a bottom plow can be to pull and the middle buster is much less expensive than the plow.

/ 72" Mid Mount Mower Tip & Plow Question #2  
Re: 72\" Mid Mount Mower Tip & Plow Question

RBrown, I have one of the Tractor Supply Co. 15" middle busters; works great for tearing up the ground, making little trenches or "bedding" (making hilled rows), and especially for digging the potatoes fast. Of course, it doesn't leave the ground pulverized and smooth like my tiller does. I also have a one bottom 14" turning plow (you probably wouldn't believe it if you saw it). It's an old horse drawn plow that someone, with a little cutting and welding made to go on a 3-point. I've used it to plow deeper and roll the soil over before tilling. It works, not the best in the world, and as you said, it is harder to pull than the middle buster. Don't forget there's a trick to getting the middle buster to work right, run the right depth, etc. and that is to get the length of your top link adjusted right; shorten it to go deeper, lengthen it to go shallower.

Bird