Driving on the road

/ Driving on the road #1  

WaxMan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L 3240 cab BH 92 backhoe
Can a Grand L cab 3240 be driven on the road 5 miles one way without extra wear or damage? Just wondering if running on dry pavement for extended amount of time cause damage.
Anybody use their tractor that way?

/ Driving on the road #2  
No, it won't hurt the tractor. Make sure it is in 2wd.

/ Driving on the road #3  
My Kubotas are almost painted the same orange as the State tractors in my state. People seem to give ya a wide berth.
Make sure your funky triangle is on the back of your tractor before you head on the down the road.

/ Driving on the road #4  
No damage. I have driven 16 mile round trip without damage. It does wear tires to operate on the road.

/ Driving on the road
No damage. I have driven 16 mile round trip without damage. It does wear tires to operate on the road.
Thanks for the replies, How long before tire wear shows up?

/ Driving on the road #6  
I took my L3240 down the pavement a few times when I had it.I used the SMV sign and four way flashers.You will want the throttle wide open.If you have the FEL and backhoe on you will definitely feel the tractor slow down on even the small hills.I always felt my L3240 had just enough power for doing work but could have used more power when travelling on the road.It had a FEL,BH90 backhoe,and loaded tires but no cab.

/ Driving on the road #7  
Thanks for the replies, How long before tire wear shows up?

Although my tractor is a bit bigger, I drive several road miles a week, especially during hay season. I do not notice any additional wear unless I have my grapple bucket on the FEL. The added weight is h*ll on the front tires.

I have driven 20 miles one way with no noticeable wear.

/ Driving on the road #8  
I make a 5 mile trip a few times per year with my L5740. The first time I lit up the flashers and cruised away at max speed. After arriving at my destination, I noticed a bit more wear on my front tires than I would have liked - not ruined by any stretch, but still more than I was happy about. The rears showed no signs of wear. On the return trip, I made a few changes, and the results were much better; no noticable wear. First, I took some weight off the front end by removing the bucket from the loader - that traveled in the back of my truck. I also reduced my speed considerably from around 15 mph to 5 mph. Obviously the trip took 3 times longer, but the results were far better. I left the box blade on the 3PT there and back. It's a nice bumper for tailgaters. YMMV. :tractor:

PS - I have R1s on my machine, R4s will definitely fare better on pavement...

/ Driving on the road #9  
We run our L5740 the four to six miles between properties several ties a year and while I am sure there is accelerated wear as opposed to running on dirt, it is not noticeable during the year, we run Industrial tires. On our Ag tired tractors, there was much more wear, but they still lasted several years. Farmers run their tractors on the road all the time as most have several farms spread out.

/ Driving on the road #10  
I would also make sure the split brakes operate as one unit.