Loader Kubota TLBs and Bobcat FEL implements

/ Kubota TLBs and Bobcat FEL implements #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
Some years back the dealer told me that the M59 had a standard QC hookup on the loader arms, and that in fact it was the same as Bobcat. Assuming that the hydraulic flow is in the ballpark, it ought to run most Bobcat front end implements.

Do the other TLBs ....the B26, L39, and L45.... all have this same QC hookup? Will what fits one fit them all?

Has anyone rented standard implements like front mowers or power racks or stump grinders? How did it work out?
I've rented a rock bucket and it did fit just fine. In fact, I eventually bought it from them. But didn't have any hydraulics, just spears.
rScotty

/ Kubota TLBs and Bobcat FEL implements #2  
The problem you will run into is significantly less hydraulic flow in the Kubotas compared to the skid steer. This means some implements would work but be slow. Others may not work at all.

Ac

/ Kubota TLBs and Bobcat FEL implements #3  
I've run a 20" hydraulic auger on mine and it worked quite well. I drilled 16 holes 40" deep for a deck around my pool in about half a day. It would have gone quicker but I had several bowling ball size and larger rocks that I had to loosen with a bar and lift out, but it was still Much faster than a 3 point hitch unit since you have the down pressure of the FEL. All of the Kubotas that come with a quick attach bucket will accept standard skidsteer implements. The only limitng factor, as mentioned, will be lack of hydraulic flow. This could be gotten around with a pto hydraulic pump.

/ Kubota TLBs and Bobcat FEL implements
I've run a 20" hydraulic auger on mine and it worked quite well. I drilled 16 holes 40" deep for a deck around my pool in about half a day. It would have gone quicker but I had several bowling ball size and larger rocks that I had to loosen with a bar and lift out, but it was still Much faster than a 3 point hitch unit since you have the down pressure of the FEL. All of the Kubotas that come with a quick attach bucket will accept standard skidsteer implements. The only limiting factor, as mentioned, will be lack of hydraulic flow. This could be gotten around with a pto hydraulic pump.

Thanks for the "real world" report. I figured that the Kubota would run FEL implements OK ..... after all, what would be the point in making a loader that specifically fits those implements if it wasn't able to run them? But there's a difference in running something and it running easily and well. While you were using the hydraulic auger did you notice anytime where you needed more hydraulic flow? Did you need to run the tractor at full rated RPM to auger the holes?

I've never rented implements and kept hearing different stories on the hydraulic requirement.

Bobcats are neat. BTW, an interesting place to read about Bobcats is on their site: Skid Steer Loader Historical Specs - Bobcat Company.

Although it is mega-difficult to tell from the flow specs just how a Bobcat implement will run on a tractor. The way that Bobcats make and use hydraulic power is sure different from what tractors do. Bobcats have those two big hydraulic traction motors - one on each side -that require a lot of fluid to power the wheels and to get that flow they favor a continuously variable-slip vane type or swash plate hydraulic pump with accumulators in a closed or semi-closed hydraulic system.
On the other hand, Kubotas power their rolling gear with either an all gear transmission and no hydraulic power at all. Or else they use a stepped selection of fixed hydrostats feeding into a mechanical planetary gearset. Just to complicate things, all the Kubotas I've seen use a simple fixed displacement gear pump and open hydraulic system for their accessory hydraulic flow.

It's sort of like one team is playing baseball while the other team shoots baskets and at lunchtime the winner is the one with the most touchdowns. Makes it hard to figure....and way to much difference for the average advertising spec to handle.

So I got to wondering just how well the Kubotas actually ran the Bobcat accessories.
Thanks, rScotty

/ Kubota TLBs and Bobcat FEL implements #5  
Here are some specs:

Kubota
M59: 16.2gpm
L45: 11.8gpm

Bobcat
S250 std: 20.7gpm
S250 high: 37gpm

Both the tractors and the SS have similar working pressures, so either will have the same "power"...but the loss in flow will limit the "speed" of the implement.

For an auger, it shouldn't really matter. Generally an auger is worked slowly anyways.

Grapple buckets will obviously work perfect.

For a mower, broom, tiller, harley rake, etc...the implement might not "work" at all. Sure, the implement might spin but if you can't spin a mower fast enough the blades won't straighten and the cut will suffer.

I think Kubota went with the standard quick connection more for the mechanical end. Nothing is better than the super quick swap between a bucket and pallet forks.

The main benefit of the M59/L45 is the 3 pt hitch. Remember, you have 40+ hp at the ready through the rear PTO. The skid steers do not.

Really, you may have to just try each piece of equipment and let us know. Worst case, you might be renting a skid steer if you really need the extra juice.

ac

/ Kubota TLBs and Bobcat FEL implements #6  
I think skid steer implements requiring high flow, such as mowers, snow blowers, etc, where high flow is needed to run specific rpm will not work well. This could be gotten around by running an external hydraulic pump off the pto.

/ Kubota TLBs and Bobcat FEL implements #7  
This could be gotten around by running an external hydraulic pump off the pto.

I like this idea better as I would not want an "unknown" implement hooked up to the hydraulic system on the Kubota, did this once when the L3130 was new and backhoe was used from a skidsteer. Did change fluid at 50 hours and everything ran better with old fluid gone.

David Kb7uns

/ Kubota TLBs and Bobcat FEL implements #8  
Yes, that's an issue with "borrowing" implements. The UDT fluid gets slowly diluted with whatever fluid is in the lines of the implement.

/ Kubota TLBs and Bobcat FEL implements #9  
By the way with the panel of QC experts gathered in this thread can I ask what others are using for their quick connect hydraulic connectors?

My l3940 has a third function that I use all the time with a grapple. A few months ago one of the dealer installed Quick connects broke. I decided to replace the original with true skid steer fittings from Parker.

They are a much more substantial fitting, easy to clean but I can't overcome the stored pressure when I try to connect them. I have tried every way to release hydraulic pressure by shutting down the tractor, lowering the FEL even turning the key on again and hitting the third function switch without any success.

So I have to grab a large punch and carefully push in the centers of the quick connects causing fluid to spray over me, then I can reconnect the fittings.

I am thinking I may need to go back to the original style which is like the stock fittings and require rubber or plastic covers when not connect to keep clean. The skid steer style are a better design and I would hate to lose them.

Anybody have any ideas?

/ Kubota TLBs and Bobcat FEL implements #10  
I've never had an issue with built up pressure. Well, hydraulic pressure anyway,:eek: The skidsteer connectorsc are nice, but more expensive too. I just have the standard connectors, for the third function, like on the rear. When I borrowed the hydraulic auger, I just swapped the connectors on the auger with the standard tractor type, and then back to the skidsteer type when I was done.