Brush hog size

/ Brush hog size #1  

OrangeToys

Platinum Member
Tractor
2016 Kubota M7060HDC
OK so I have the Kubota MX5100 with 6ft woods and I have read and heard that 6-7ft is all it will handle. But the other day I saw a Kioti DK55 enclosed with a 8ft deck but wasn't cutting real thick or tall.

Guess I'm a little confused in the power/size ratio

/ Brush hog size #2  
I have seen a mx5100 pulling a 12ft batwing,it was cleaning up the cattle pastures thou. I ran a 8ft pull-type behind my M5040,without any issues,it also spent sometime with a 15ft batwing on it...

/ Brush hog size #3  
According to Tractordata, your tractor is rated at 42-44 PTO HP (hydro vs geared). The rule of thumb I've heard on rotary cutters is 5 HP per foot of width. Using that, you're good for an 8-footer. With that said, a lot depends on what you're trying to mow .. And whether or not the 5 HP rule is legit. Others will no doubt weigh in with their experience/knowledge. Good luck! (And it sounds like you have a nice machine!)

/ Brush hog size #4  
Another thing to think about is how much weight those cutters have and how far back it is when you're looking at lift type cutters. My MX8 is heavy and because they are longer often the seven footers are even worse. Honestly its about all I would want on the back of my TN75 and even then I like having the loader on to counter weight it.

/ Brush hog size #5  
I have a Kodiak (Mahindra) 6' medium duty 3 point hitch rotary cutter and it is all that my MX wants on the hills and rough terrain. I don't like the cutter as it is really a poor design, but that has nothing to do with size mower. It is a lot of weight behind the tractor. My son has a 10' pull type he uses with his 5040 and it handles it just fine.

/ Brush hog size #6  
It all depends on what your cutting. I've seen a guy pull a Bushwhacker T180 with a Ford 3910 (45hp pto), but he was cutting the place every two to three weeks so he was basically using it as a lawnmower. You also have to consider terrain, a heavy bushhog on a steep slope can be a little tricky behind a small tractor. A trailer type helps out a lot!

/ Brush hog size #7  
I have a 1300lb 6' mower on the back of mine, and wouldn't want too much more weight back there, maybe up to 1500lbs that far out.