B7800 inner air filter is mesh? Toss or clean?

/ B7800 inner air filter is mesh? Toss or clean? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I'm doing the annual oil change, etc on my B7800 and was all set to change the inner and outer air filters. The outer is basic paper but the inner is a sort-of mesh screen and I wonder if this inner screen is a disposable or not? Anyone know if I just toss it or am I supposed to clean or blow it out? It matters because the replacement inner filter I bought last fall seems to have set me back nearly $50.

/ B7800 inner air filter is mesh? Toss or clean? #2  
I'm doing the annual oil change, etc on my B7800 and was all set to change the inner and outer air filters. The outer is basic paper but the inner is a sort-of mesh screen and I wonder if this inner screen is a disposable or not? Anyone know if I just toss it or am I supposed to clean or blow it out? It matters because the replacement inner filter I bought last fall seems to have set me back nearly $50.

can't imagine the inner costing that much for such a small tractor. wise to replace outer (assume you blow it out regularly) in maintenance. i'm told the inner is sort of a safety net in case the outer fails. i replaced mine after 400 hrs when i noticed some discoloration. maybe as a general rule, replace inner every 3 changes of outer? manual says not to physically touch the inner filter element, just on outside to install. just imho bb

/ B7800 inner air filter is mesh? Toss or clean? #3  
My tractor has same filter as yours, I've never replaced the inner in the 8 years I've had it. I tap out the outer filter pretty regularly, and when I do that I tap the plastic housing which removes all the dust bunnies down in there, but I've never seen anything on the inner, it looks like brand new. The inner is a plastic screen, it's not really a filter, I think it's there to protect the engine if the outer starts to decompose and pieces would go in the engine. Can't imagine what else it's for because it's too coarse to stop anything in the dust family.

/ B7800 inner air filter is mesh? Toss or clean?
Well, brace yourself because the lowest price I found for the inner filter was $48.18 and $32.67 for the outer. You can pretty much guess no one else makes the inner filter. Oh well, I had the filters so they both got replaced.

/ B7800 inner air filter is mesh? Toss or clean? #5  
Oh well, I had the filters so they both got replaced.
Did you observe any kind of wear or degradation of the plastic inner? Keep the old one, it's a better investment than the stock market.

/ B7800 inner air filter is mesh? Toss or clean? #6  
I meant to mention you might check that little rubber doo-giggie on the bottom of the air filter housing that you supposedly use to empty dust out of the housing. If you pinch it, it opens up and the dust falls out. I discovered mine had pretty badly dry rotted and was leaking air. Probably doesn't matter too much because the air all ends up the same place anyhow, but this would be much hotter air since it's sitting right on top of the engine, as opposed to the normal air intake which sits up high and in front of the radiator.

/ B7800 inner air filter is mesh? Toss or clean? #7  
Kubota recommends that the outer filter can be washed out up to six times before replacing.I have washed mine out,it is surprising how much fine dirt comes out of it.You wouldn't get it out just by tapping or using compressed air.I don't think the inner filter is serviceable.

/ B7800 inner air filter is mesh? Toss or clean?
Did you observe any kind of wear or degradation of the plastic inner? Keep the old one, it's a better investment than the stock market.

No degradation. Still have the old one and am trying to think of a use for a $48 mesh air filter.

I meant to mention you might check that little rubber doo-giggie on the bottom of the air filter housing that you supposedly use to empty dust out of the housing. If you pinch it, it opens up and the dust falls out. I discovered mine had pretty badly dry rotted and was leaking air. Probably doesn't matter too much because the air all ends up the same place anyhow, but this would be much hotter air since it's sitting right on top of the engine, as opposed to the normal air intake which sits up high and in front of the radiator.

Yeah, I looked at that and blew it out with compressed air. It's clean now. Thanks.