HST Filter wont come off

/ HST Filter wont come off #1  

horses2

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M471D
I am doing the 50 hr service on my MX5100 and I cant seem to get the HST filter off. That rascal seems to be on there quite tight. Can I use a hammer and drift against the slots machined into the filter, or does Kubota have a special wrench for this thing?

Thanks,

Last edited:
   / HST Filter wont come off #2  
IT should be snug rather than overly tight and a regular oil filter wrench should to the trick. However, in the event that won't work you can drive a large screwdriver through the filter and use that as a lever to remove it. Be aware that you will lose more fluid via this process. The idea is to change it quickly so you won't lose a large amount of the hydraulic oil.

/ HST Filter wont come off #4  
   / HST Filter wont come off #5  
Put a shop vac nozzle over the HST fill port and you will lose very little fluid,works for me.

/ HST Filter wont come off #6  
   / HST Filter wont come off #7  
I used my Snapon strap wrench
A91D-500x500.jpg
but any thing similar will do. even really big channellocks

I would not use a chisel or drift unless you want to punch a hole. Which is a way to get it off too. Just drive the punch through the middle, and out both sides. then you have a handle!

/ HST Filter wont come off #8  
I have used a drift in the slots. Be careful and do not let the drift end strike the tractor. You only need to get it to move, then use a good filter wrench to finish the removal process. Kubota makes a tough hydraulic filter. Please use one from Kubota to replace the one you are removing. Heft the new one in your hand and examine the construction.

/ HST Filter wont come off #10  
Sounds like it was put on with a dry gasket. They will almost become one with the metal base when they are put on dry. When you put on the new one lube the gasket with some of the clean oil... it will come off much easier.