My new B2620- 1st week review

/ My new B2620- 1st week review #21  
JOHNTHOMAS; Check 4shorts video of his bx25D (oh yeah he deleted them) and you will see how loud and whiny the bx's are.

I believe it is because of the 2 range tranny vs the 3 range in the B

I've owned several BXs and several Bs and I'm just saying I'm not agreeing to this one point based on my hearing, butt feeling and personal experience.:D Just this one point from my experience

Yeah don't get me wrong, the bx is a fantastic machine with a slightly different set of specialties. You can't go wrong with it. If I ran out of projects for the B, I would seriously consider going to a bx. I can totally see how you traded around so much. :) They are all too much fun.

I started with a BX2200 MMM FEL to be a life time mower and after one year and discovering how much it would do I traded to a bigger B7800 MMM with higher ground clearance and more FEL power and better traction which I kept for 3 years and lots of major early on projects so I know what your saying and agreeing.:thumbsup:
\

The backhoe is really nice, I'm just a crappy operator right now. I did kick the rpms upto about 2200. Maybe more would be better.
The bh also still scares me a bit right now. Lots of power to toss the whole machine around. I can see getting into a lot of trouble really fast of you are not careful.

Only one operation seemed locked out. It was moving the dipper in wouldn't let the boom move one way iirc. Idk, mostly I need to practice.

Experience/time at the controls using the FEL and BH are the key. I used my BX25 BH for a few years and many projects and eventually got pretty good with the BH, which was the new to me part. When I traded to the B2620 and the first few times using the BH it was slinging the tractor all over the place. Slowed down the revs and learned more of the feel of it vs the feel of the BX25 BH and now revving the B2620 up and down based on what digging I'm doing and getting the touch for the difference.

I had a similar experience with my BH65, now after 60+ hours of which easily half has been BH work the controls are second nature. Drop the RPM's to 1800 to start, movements will slow down and be less jerky though there won't be enough flow for some combo movements which may be what you are experiencing. Get smooth with the controls at 1800 then move up to 2200. I found I was using more fuel at 2200 so I dropped back to 1800 and instantly felt the BH was moving way too slow, its funny how quickly you will get used to working the controls faster while still maintaining smooth non jerky moves. Someone on the forum here pointed out that the BH just gets faster at higher rpm's not more powerful that was key.

Digging stumps was very good practice, working the boom, dipper stick, and bucket curl in unison ripping roots and stumps, positioning the bucket between, over, under roots, working the thumb, moving lots of dirt, digging large pits to bury the stumps in, stump digging was a fast track to learning the BH for me. Good luck and enjoy the new machine!

I agree, good advise and my experience also.

/ My new B2620- 1st week review #22  
You're not in 4WD when mowing, are you? That's the only way I can get my R4s to damage my lawn. In 2WD they are fine. Heck, I imagine even turfs would damage a lawn in 4WD.

/ My new B2620- 1st week review #23  
Sometimes less is more. I start digging stumps at 1500 to 1700 and go from there. I found that the excess rpm's want to throw the side to side operation at a dangerous speed. The side to side boom control is touchy and requires a very light touch.

/ My new B2620- 1st week review #24  
Good write up. I have a b2920. Once you get the hang of the BH crank the rpms up and you'll find you can do multiple movements at once (dip and curl for example). You have to get the hydro flow up, otherwise it can only do 1 movement at a time. It takes a fine touch, but will come easy with practice.

/ My new B2620- 1st week review
You're not in 4WD when mowing, are you? That's the only way I can get my R4s to damage my lawn. In 2WD they are fine. Heck, I imagine even turfs would damage a lawn in 4WD.

Its def in 2wd. I do have very heavy clay and it's been very rainy. My drainage is terrible too. So it may be the ground is softer than average. Ill get some pics of the lawn as soon as I can. Harder dirt may be more forgiving.

French drains are on the project list. Lots of bh practice :)

/ My new B2620- 1st week review #26  
Great review. After running my BX for a couple years, I agree it is whiny. I don't like how the loader stalls easily when picking loads. I thought about snagging the loader shims and gauge from BXpanded, but haven't. I do miss the larger frame of the B. I despise the solid ROPS, and not sure I care for the loud and thirsty 26 HP engine. My 7510's sipped fuel, and seemed much quieter.

Other things I notice... BX has DIY fuel filters like a lawn mower. I like the bowl style. You can see dirt and water, clean it out, and move on. The BX need a new filter. The BX requires me to remove the grille guard to service the oil. The cowl won't slide far enough forward to be removed with the grille guard. I miss dual brakes and find the diff lock pedal a stupid design without a true pedal pad.

I moved to the BX as I mow 85% of the time. It is unsurpassed in this department. I never tear the lawn, and the ability to add R4's cheaply made it an easier choice to downsize for me. At 6'-5" I may look goofy on th BX, but its performance for what I do can't be surpassed. That said, I will seriously consider a B again if I make a change, but that may never be, or B.

Overall nice cut:
20130629_092214.jpg
I'm mowing in 2nd. Lots of rain this week, so grass was long. Ripped through it w/o a hiccup from the motor. The old 48" gasser would bog down and I was taking a lot of half cuts. Would be nicer if the clippings were a bit finer and mulched in, but this is the 60" on OEM blades.

Learning patterns to limit sharp turns. Avoiding making tight circles.

But in the squishy areas...
20130629_093043.jpg

This is the third mowing. This is also after all the construction work to build the foundation for the shed. I ran over this grass constantly moving loads of dirt and rock, as well as carting around the backhoe. Bounced back pretty well and no major damage.

/ My new B2620- 1st week review #28  
Looks good.I found the clippings long with my 54 inch deck until adding mulching blades.Are you going to change the type of blades on your deck?

Looks good.I found the clippings long with my 54 inch deck until adding mulching blades.Are you going to change the type of blades on your deck?

It would be nice, but not high on the list of expenditures. How much did they cost btw?

/ My new B2620- 1st week review #30  
I would get the Oregon Gator blades - about $20-22 range each, (I paid $18 ea for 52" cut) get two sets as shipping will be less. I have them on my ZTR and they do a great job on grass and leaves in the fall. Take a wire wheel or sander and remove the coating on the cutting edge before installing.

On the R4s marking - take the turns wider, and yes it has been very wet lately - give it some time before going to turfs.

Good write up too, and on the BH, as others have said, you will get better. Nice property and nice machine.

Carl