How much oil?

/ How much oil? #1  

jcb2920

Tractor
Kubota B2920
After draining the oil from my 2920, complete with filter change, it was time to add a fresh new batch of 15W40. This is one of life's simple pleasures that I enjoy immensely. The owner's manual indicates, in accordance with common thinking, to add oil until it registers to the "full" notch on the dipstick. The manual also indicates that 3.7 quarts of oil should be used. I have added an entire gallon and the oil level registers only halfway between the "low" and "full" notches on the dipstick. Should I add more? Thanks!

/ How much oil? #2  
Run the engine for a little while to swish all the oil around and into the filter. Then stop and let it settle for 10 minutes or so.

Then check the oil dipstick on level ground. Add more at that point if necessary. The dipstick is the most reliable measure regardless of what the manual states. Manuals have been wrong in the past.

You probably already knew all of this.

Last edited:
   / How much oil?
Thanks!! I was headed in that direction, but it's always good to run things by one's peers. A little validation never hurt anyone :) I really appreciate the reply!