Silver Member

Default BX front counterweight

guys,

have bx2360 with fel. just acquired a land pride rtr1250 tiller for august renovation project. how much front end weight do i need to have to run this tiller / balance wise?
    i'd much prefer removing the fel an getting a bx bracket to hang weights . . . if it's not cost prohibitive. any thoughts, experiences?

thanks in advance
    shrekbelly

Tractor
    Kubota BX25 /Hustler 320

Default Re: BX front counterweight

I wouldn't think you needed any extra front weight, but the cheap way is to just put a load in the front bucket. With no FEL on you still might not need front ballast as the tillers are held pretty close to the rear tires unlike a bush-hog.
    Ryan

BX-25 w/thumb -bucket hooks -60"mmm -Piranha tooth bar - GME 18P Chipper
    Hustler 320 (Kubota diesel) 72" deck/60"broom
    Bunton 36"w/sulky

Ky. Between Dead Horse Holler and Yellowbank
    Tractor
    BX2200, BCS 735

With my BX2200, I have 180# of weights on the front and it's just enough to keep the front from getting squirrely without the loader.
    Hate is like drinking poison, hoping your enemy will die. unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by shrekbelly View Post
    guys,

have bx2360 with fel. just acquired a land pride rtr1250 tiller for august renovation project. how much front end weight do i need to have to run this tiller / balance wise?
    i'd much prefer removing the fel an getting a bx bracket to hang weights . . . if it's not cost prohibitive. any thoughts, experiences?

thanks in advance
    shrekbelly
    It is cost prohibitive....trust me.
    2009 Kubota M7040, R1s, LA1153 FEL, fork lift, 3 rear remotes, T&T
    2002 Kubota L48 TLB, 12", 18", 24" HD buckets
    2001 Kubota BX2200, Turf, LA211 FEL
    7.5' Howse 3PT disc, 88" Gearmore 4G4 box scraper, 4' box scraper, Gearmore GB85 blade, LandPride RCR2596 cutter, 6', 4' flail mowers, 6', 4' rototiller, 4' Bush Hog cutter, HD subsoiler, Bearcat 70554 chipper, Bush Hog PHD w/ 12", 6" augers, Ford 101 3-bottom plow, 8' land leveler, 6' rake, lots of misc.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

From BX2360 manuals:

Loader manual recommends a maximum of 420 pounds on the rear as loader ballast.

Tractor manual recommends a maximum of 275 pounds on the front as rear implement ballast.

Bruce

Tractor
    Kubota BX24, GR2120

What gwdixon said. I bought kubota weights and bracket to go with a LandPride 42 inch tiller on my BX24.

Expensive. The bracket and weight bolt kit weren't compatible, so the bracket had to be modified. The parts were ordered together but apparently one or the other had been changed mid-stream.

I got the front weights so I could till with the loader off. It's pretty tight navigating around the gardens inside my deer fence. Pulling the loader and mounting the weight kit - which requires removing the brush guard on my machine is such a pain I just leave the loader on and deal with it. The weight of the loader is sufficient couterbalance for the 42 inch tiller.

Too soon old and too late smart,
    Z.
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not their own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Tractor
    B2620 GR2120

I don't know what your tiller weighs but I used an aerator on my previous BX2360 that weighed just over 500 pounds.With no weights the front of the tractor was very light.I made a set of weights and a bracket for the front that weighed a total of 135 pounds.It helped to control the front of the tractor but more weight would have been better.

Veteran Member
    Olalla WA, Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

I bought 450# of suitcase weights from Home Depot on line for $60 EA with free shipping. My dealer wanted almost $90 plus shipping for the same thing. My 10% military discount dropped $6 off each. They have JD and MTD both. That way I can vary weight to match loads either front or back on my BX25. Working on building brackets for the 3PT QH and the front. Brackets can cost almost as much as the weights as you need a custom job. I have my own welding gear so make my own custom stuff.

Ron