Gravel spreading on a fresh cut steep road cut in with BX25D?

/ Gravel spreading on a fresh cut steep road cut in with BX25D? #1  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
Okay this might be a stupid question, but someone said there are no stupid questions (I can't say I am a subscriber to this) but here goes...

I have just finished cutting in a 200ft long by 6ft wide tractor trail to get down to my lower property. It is pretty steep trail but it is now at least fairly level 'roll wise'. I need to spread some gravel and thinking 3/4 - 1 1/4 crushed clean. The big question is do I have the gravel delivered to the bottom and haul up or top and bring down. I ask because the slope in places is so steep (near the top) that I won't be able to carry much without losing my load going down. Going up seems like much more work for the tractor but seems safer and easier. Still a newbie. Getting decent with BH (15hrs) but haven't done much of anything with FEL yet. How is that for a stupid question?

/ Gravel spreading on a fresh cut steep road cut in with BX25D? #2  
I have found that in every "spreading" task I've accomplished, it was always much easier to push down slope rather than push up slope. Personally, I would ask the driver to dump it in batches equally spread over the 200ft length so your primary task will be to spread rather than transport. That is if the slope isn't too steep for the dump truck.

/ Gravel spreading on a fresh cut steep road cut in with BX25D? #3  
Rock Always grades best Down... So if it can be delivered to the top, that's a good place to put Half of it... then put the rest Half way down... will make everything easy. KennyV

/ Gravel spreading on a fresh cut steep road cut in with BX25D? #4  
I agree with the other posters, It is a lot easier to spread gravel than transport gravel, and it is a lot easier to spread downhill than uphill.

James K0UA

/ Gravel spreading on a fresh cut steep road cut in with BX25D? #5  
Dump it at the bottom.

Backing uphill over the gravel may be interesting.:)

/ Gravel spreading on a fresh cut steep road cut in with BX25D? #6  
the way i did mine witch is also steap, the driver drove and dumped at the same time then i simpley used my back blade to level it.

/ Gravel spreading on a fresh cut steep road cut in with BX25D? #7  
kennyV said it the best. It better to have spillage going down then up so you can always regrade it going down. gravity is your friend. When you mentioned steep - I was thinking, how steep are you talking about because going down with a bucket full of stones raised halfway or more is just asking for a disaster. keep it low and close to ground.

/ Gravel spreading on a fresh cut steep road cut in with BX25D? #8  
I know it may be too steep, but if the dump truck can get on the hill, have him do ALL the spreading. Another thing, if the hill is really steep don't spread it too thick. Deep gravel affords no traction on a steep hill until its well packed. I'm going through this right now and my drive is not that steep. :(

/ Gravel spreading on a fresh cut steep road cut in with BX25D? #9  
Have the driver spread the gravel. Why create work for yourself. You will also not be able to spread the gravel as evenly as the driver can. If steep, have him to start at the top.

/ Gravel spreading on a fresh cut steep road cut in with BX25D? #10  
If the 'road' is 6 feet wide the gravel truck won't fit. It will have to be dumped as the OP said, top or bottom.