BX25D - Switching between 2WD and 4WD?

/ BX25D - Switching between 2WD and 4WD? #1  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
I am mostly keeping in 4WD all of the time and occasionally locking the differential when needed working on the slopes of my cleared property. Today I was driving across, turning around a bunch on paved road. My question is when I am going back and forth and turning hard across a paved area about 50ft at a time repetitively, should I just leave it in 4WD or should I be switching to 2WD? I don't know whether switching in and out of 4WD is better than the wear/tear of 4WD on paved? I am not sure what is harder on my transmission, hubs, etc.? Thoughts???

/ BX25D - Switching between 2WD and 4WD? #2  
I don't leave my tractor, 4WD trucks, or my ATV's in 4WD unless needed. It's extra wear and tear on them if engaged when not needed.

/ BX25D - Switching between 2WD and 4WD? #3  
For just driving across a road, I wouldn't worry about it.
However, when you're turning around on a paved road, I would definitely take it out of 4wd.

/ BX25D - Switching between 2WD and 4WD?
I don't leave my tractor, 4WD trucks, or my ATV's in 4WD unless needed. It's extra wear and tear on them if engaged when not needed.
I use my 4WD on my F150 to get up our long steep gravel driveway regularly just to keep the dust down and off the neighbors place and also not to rut it up. I always disengage once I get to the top and of course I know it when I forget the next morning trying to back out. I don't feel the resistance on my tractor like I do with my truck, and that is why I am asking. So you say go ahead and keep switching back and forth even if it is 10 times in a day? Of course the job will be done in a few days so it won't be like this for long.

For just driving across a road, I wouldn't worry about it.
However, when you're turning around on a paved road, I would definitely take it out of 4wd.

Yes I am having to turn around fairly hard each pass. About 10 times today and I imagine it will be several more days before I get this job done. Just seemed a pain to switch back and forth but I know that if I don't get out of 4WD with my F150 I can barely turn it so I always do. Can't feel it with the tractor. Don't realize I am in 4WD or not unless I need it!

/ BX25D - Switching between 2WD and 4WD? #6  
I take mine out of 4wd whenever possible. After 5000+ hours I have found that when in 4wd (and the front is locked to the rear), there is no give if everything is not equal. When the front tread (ag style) begins to wear and the tire circumference becomes less the rear tires (loaded) have the greater traction and will force the front tires to "slip" as there is no give in the gearing. When my tires are new I can shift it in and out of 4wd when rolling, even under power if necessary. As the fronts become less tall (reduced circumference) there appears to be a bind in the system and the lever takes more pressure to shift in and out of 4wd necessitating the use of the clutch. It is even more problematic when the front tires are low of air, tread is worn and the loader is full.

Although, I do go up and down grades in 4wd ESPECIALLY with a loaded bucket for safety reasons. Lessons learned. :)

/ BX25D - Switching between 2WD and 4WD? #7  
We have owned 4WD pickup trucks exclusively for 35 years now. A variety of 4WD drive set up configurations up to and including our two present day Z-71 trucks with push button 4WD. We could always sense the front drive working against the back when 4WD is engaged. Even on our present day push button Z-71's. I can sense the front working against the back on my 2007 4WD tractor and my 2006 Polaris Sportsman when 4WD is engaged. The front should be working against the rear when 4WD is engaged. If not then there is something that is not working.

/ BX25D - Switching between 2WD and 4WD? #8  
Dragoneggs,
I bought my BX23 nine years ago and it has been in 4wd almost the entire time since. Very early on, I had an out of control slide down my driveway with a load of dirt. The brakes had no effect what so ever. After skidding for about 50 feet, I dropped the loader bucket to the ground to stop the tractor.
I live on 10 wooded acres with few level areas. Our driveway has two sections in it that measure 23% grade, climbing more than 100 feet to the house.
I do use 2wd when I am crossing my parking pad or on the hard packed gravel road into our community. If you are turning on a loose surface, just keep it in 4wd.
By the way, I grew up a stones throw away, on Bainbridge Island and currently live just east of Arlington.

Dragoneggs,
I bought my BX23 nine years ago and it has been in 4wd almost the entire time since. Very early on, I had an out of control slide down my driveway with a load of dirt. The brakes had no effect what so ever. After skidding for about 50 feet, I dropped the loader bucket to the ground to stop the tractor.
I live on 10 wooded acres with few level areas. Our driveway has two sections in it that measure 23% grade, climbing more than 100 feet to the house.
I do use 2wd when I am crossing my parking pad or on the hard packed gravel road into our community. If you are turning on a loose surface, just keep it in 4wd.
By the way, I grew up a stones throw away, on Bainbridge Island and currently live just east of Arlington.

Hey thanks for the post. I think I will leave it in 4WD unless I am turning around on my paved parking area and call it good! If your 4WD is still in good shape after 9 years then maybe no worries.

Yes I know Arlington pretty well too. My parents had a cabin on Lake McMurray for many years so we often drove by/stopped. Man that stretch north of Everett I-5 has grown! I moved out to Seabeck to get away from the Bellevue/Redmond zoo where I lived most of my life.

/ BX25D - Switching between 2WD and 4WD? #10  
If I was turning on pavement I would put it in 2WD.Other than that I would leave it in 4WD.