Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage

/ Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage #21  
Here are some of the big pieces, I had to cut them in half as they were green and I couldn't lift them. They are stacked on some racks that I cut up from the auction also

Attachments

• 314405-Dscn1671.jpg
    314405-Dscn1671.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,018
   / Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage
Thanks for posting the photos. They look like they would work great. 4 bucks a piece....... what a deal!

Greg

/ Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage #23  
Wow, what a load!

I reduced my handling issue by training two of my four goldens to retrieve sticks of firewood. I can stand in the doorway and send them to the woodshed. Get about half a day's burn before they tire of the game. Unfortunately, the other two just look at me with that, "It's a friggin stick! Throw me a ball!" look on their faces.

Pete

/ Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage #24  
You have your dogs better trained than I have my wife! I can't get her to bring in the groceries or take out the trash......
What is the trick to your success? ...... LOL /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pete,
If you could put that on a training video you could probably sell enough to afford to buy a baby sister for Clementine, like somebody else in this forum. I have a Golden Retriever and a black lab. They both think that I'm the retriever. The give me the look like.."Hey, you threw it..... You go get it", unless it's in water. Then they both fight over it, nearly drown each other, fight some more and then whoever wins, they go hide the stick. Then I get to retrieve another stick. We take a lot of pride in how well trained our dogs have made us.

Greg

/ Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage #26  
Greg,
Sorry for the delay in responding. I measured my pallets after I wrote the post: the side walls are only 3' high. When I stack one pallet on top of the other, the wood has to be dry. I burn mostly maple and ash. I have trouble moving a full pallet of wet oak or elm.
When I stack one pallet on top of the other, I fill the lower pallet slightly above the line of the side supports so that they do not absorb the weight.
As for tractor capacity, I have an ATI "tach-all" system where I can quickly switch the bucket and pallet forks. The lift capacity with 230 lb forks is around 950 lbs at 2200 RPMs. I usually run my machine at 1800 RPMs. You're right, I'm runnning the machine at the max for the cube of wood.
Hope that this helps.
Paul.

Paul,
That sounds like a really nice system. I don't think you are pushing your tractor any harder than I am with mine. This is the one time I wish I had a slightly larger machine, although the area that I store the wood at the house is very tight and I can just barely manuever my machine to get to it. I suppose I could use some bucket forks with shorter pallets to make a second level. It would be nice to cut down on the storage space. Thanks for sharing.

Greg

/ Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage #28  
I use 275 gallon size IBS totes ,,approximately 4x4x4,,i have forks on my front end loader of my Kubota 3550, its rated to lift 1500 #s . I take it right up into the woods, firewood is processed right there, less handling and thrown into the totes. I only touch the wood once more when I carry it out of the totes into my house. its a real labor saver.