Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage

/ Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage #1  

GregJ

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2301/LA435FEL/BH70 ; John Deere X350
In another post there was a question about pallet forks and firewood. I thought I would share what I have done for firewood storage. We heat exclusively with wood, so we go through a fair amount. In analyzing the number of times I handle each piece, it makes me tired just thinking about it. When we got the Kubota, I wanted to put it to work on this project. I have experimented around with a pallet system and I think I finally have a system that works fairly well. I palletize all my firewood right after splitting and then wrap it with the cheap plastic orange security fencing to keep it together. Then I can move it around with my 3pt. pallet forks. I have put away 14 boards this year in 3 different wood sheds / shelters. Now moving them to the house is not a problem. I have an area that I can drop a board right by the back door and easily access into the house. I have a B7500 and it just barely can handle these boards. This is the one time I wish I had a slightly larger tractor. It's not just the lift, but the weight in the front end. I have to pick up a loader of dirt before I move these boards, otherwise I am doing wheelies. All in all though, it sure beats handling each stick about 6 times before it gets into the house.

Thought I'd share. I'd really like to hear from anybody else that has a good system for moving and storing firewood.

Greg

Attachments

• 312571-PalletLoad.jpg
    312571-PalletLoad.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 8,205
   / Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage #2  
Holllllly Coooow! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif For some reason or another I think that load is a little more than the specs call for on the B7500. I used to carry about a 1/3 of a rick on a wood rack behind my 235 Case and that was a load but you have gone the distance. My hats off to you.
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage #3  
Pretty cool, Greg.

I've been trying to devise a similar thing, though I'm trying to build walls on top/around the pallet... How do you keep the orange fence together? Is it rigid enough to keep everything from toppling? (You are a much better stacker than I am...)

Thanks for the post.
Neil.

/ Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage #4  
WOW!!! I've been thinking about how I'm going to handle my firewood and never dreamed one could move that much at once with a 7500!! I'll scale back my operation a little because I'm only burning for supplimental heat.

Good work and thanks for sharing the post and picture!!

/ Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage
Neil,
I fasten the wrap with cable ties. As far as holding the stack together, it does just fine as long as you move real slow. Obviously if you bounce it very much, there is enough weight there to challenge that thin plastic. The wrap really stops the single pieces from falling out from the vibration that starts the landslide of wood that ends in a game of pick up sticks. (Been there, Done that..... more than I like to admit) As far as the stacking, I have found that stacking on the pallet while it is on the back of my tractor makes it so much easier. I can move the pallet right to where the wood is. I also find it easier to have the pallet raised a bit so I'm not leaning over as I stack. I have never been a meticulous "stacker", but it seemed pretty easy with this method.
I had thought about building sides to each pallet, but decided against it because then I could only access the pallet from the end and that would be a bit of a reach for me. I also made temporary plywood sides that I tied to each board just to transport. That didn't work either, because the vibration cause the plywood to slide down until it was dragging on the ground.
The one down side to storing like this is the additional space that it takes up. When I hand stacked, I would stack the wood up to 7 feet high and fill all the voids in my sheds. Now I can only go the height of the pallet and I need room around the pallet to maneuver. So, I have resorted to tarps in the woods. Having to come up with additional storage space is a small trade off compared to having to handle each piece at least 3 more times if I did it by hand.

Greg

/ Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage #6  
Gunnahafta

Here is a firewood carrier that I made for my BX2200. The frame is a Kingcutter Carryall that I purchased at TSC for about $75. Although I made it to carry firewood, I use it for carrying everything. It is one of the most used implements that I own. Took the sides off and used it haul 4X8 sheets of drywall a few months ago.
John

Attachments

• 312676-Keith hauling firewood.jpg
    312676-Keith hauling firewood.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 4,254
   / Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage #7  
Close up picture of carryall.

Attachments

• 312677-Carry all.jpg
    312677-Carry all.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 2,796
   / Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage #8  
John,

I saw this picture a few months ago and have been trying to find it ever since!!! THANKS for reposting it. I bought one of those carry-alls too at TSC. (I live in Maine and bought it at one of the closest stores to me--Oneonta, NY--on my way to a wedding in Ithaca!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif My wife thought I was crazy.)

Great work and if you don't mind, I'll model mine after yours! If I remember correctly, you even added some heavy-duty casters for easy maneuvering in the garage...??...

/ Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage #9  
I bought one of those carryall's recently to move stuff around during our house construction. Wife woudn't go for the pallet forks right now /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I've been stacking scrap wood on them, cut bricks, some firewood and just moving stuff around. Really like the carry all.

Placing castors on the pallet is a great idea. Not sure why I didn't think about that. We have a couple steel dolly's the size of a medium pallet but only have two of them. I'm still kicking myself for giving several of them away.

Was thinking about building sides on some pallets for the umpteen cords of firewood cut up in the woods. The snow fence would be cheaper and easier. Another great idea! Even have a bunch of large 24" reusable zipties.

/ Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage #10  
Gunnahafta

I would be flattered if you made your carryall look like mine. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The nice thing about it is that you can make the platform any size to match your tractor. Attached is a picture of the dolly that I made from 2X4s

I used 2X6s and a 2X12 for the floor. The back is five quarter X 6 inch treated lumber. The removable sides are made from White Pine with 2X4 uprights. The 2X4s slide into stake pockets that I purchased at TSC.

I have had over 700 pounds on mine without a problem. The dolly wheels around on a cement floor with little effort; even when the carryall is loaded.

John

Attachments

• 312914-carry all dolly.jpg
    312914-carry all dolly.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 2,317