Question on adding ballast to rear tires

/ Question on adding ballast to rear tires #1  

JOHNINMA

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B5200, L3540
I went to move a piece of machinery for a neighbor today and almost tipped my L3540 on its side. I have turf tires and was wondering if having them filled would plant the tractor on the ground better than just rear mounted implements for weight. I regularly use pallet forks and pick up heavy loads so additional stability is desireable. I was wondering what you guys recommend and if there are any down sides to having filled tires.

/ Question on adding ballast to rear tires #2  
I would fill them for sure

/ Question on adding ballast to rear tires #3  
There have been numerous posts on this subject and it seems to me that the consensus is that yes it is quite helpful. Other helpful options seem to be wheel extenders for the rear wheels and rear weights. Have you looked at your owners manual to see what is recommended? Mine (TC26DA) says to add 460 pounds to the rear and fill the tires or use wheel weights.

/ Question on adding ballast to rear tires #4  
Maybe heavier tires would put marks on wet lawns. But having turf tires would minimize this.

Not only would I recommend filled rear tires but also some kind of ballast device on the 3PH. There are thousand of ideas here on TBN.

Below are a couple of photos of cobbed together ballast ideas. The easiest is a set of pallet forks on the rear or a "carry all" with bags of cement or something heavy piled on a pallet.

/ Question on adding ballast to rear tires
Are there any downsides to having filled rear tires?

/ Question on adding ballast to rear tires #6  
If calcium chloride the possibility of the rims rusting out. Fixing a flat on a filled tire is considerably more difficult than fixing a flat on an unfilled tire.

/ Question on adding ballast to rear tires
Thankyou to everyone for your input. I will have them filled rather than risk going over on my side.

/ Question on adding ballast to rear tires #8  
Only down side to filling tires is it's a pain to deal with a flat, fix and re-fill etc... I would fill the tires.

Most important though, is to use proper ballast on the 3PH!

/ Question on adding ballast to rear tires #9  
I had a 3240 w/loaded R1 tires, and 3 sets of wheel weights. Lifting anything but light loads, I found it tippy if I didn't use my counterweight.

Counterweight 003.jpg

I would suggest you load the tires, and put at least 800lbs on the 3PH.

Best, Bill

/ Question on adding ballast to rear tires #10  
My tractor's rear tires where filled with Eco-Friendly Antifreeze and water from the GitGo. My Dealer suggests that with a FEL, the rear tires should receive Ballast.