Mowing RC-72 Mower Junk? Ditto Kubota Customer Service?

/ RC-72 Mower Junk? Ditto Kubota Customer Service? #1  

M. Sullivan

Silver Member
Tractor
B2710 w/ 402 Loader and 72" belly mower.
Howdy,
Been off line for a while with 2 new kids and a 3rd due soon. Trust all is well. See Tractor by Net continues to expand; well deserved.

First question: Wanted to attach a photo, but it is 175KB, and Post only allows 100K. How do I reduce the size...I have MS Photo Editor??

Foremost, I am writing to see if anyone has encountered the same problems with their 72" belly mower mounts (on a B2710) as I have. Specifically, one of 2 identical bars that attaches to the mower to the tractor, and lifts the mower via the tractor hydraulics, has broken at a weld point on the bar itself. Both ends of the bar are pinned (to the tractor via a large pin thru a bushing welded to the bar...the weld which broke...and a small pin to the mower thru a hole in the bar). Both pin points move/rotate freely. Whew, a picture is worth a thousand words....hopefully I can get the picture attached.

Finally, any ideas on cause appreciated. Below is correspondance I have had with Kubota, and detail explanation and photo's of the problem. Must say, very disappointed in Kubota on this one. Sent notes to various e-mails trying to get a response. So far all I got was what I consider a 'blow off' letter below. I will post future responses.

** Start of correspondance to/from Kubota...most recent first **

Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 7:50 AM
To: 'TBoulds@kubota.com';
Subject: RE: Request for Refund

Which picture are you referring to, and what are beech marks?? It is clear the weld was not completed, and that is where the failure occurred. I agree loading (of all types) is the cause of the observed effect. However, this weld point would not be the weakest point to fail. The deck attachment points, etc. would fail first (bend, crack, tear) if the cause were excessive loading as suggested. Pls have someone in your metallurgy activity look at this.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 4:32 PM
To: Sullivan, Michael (M.B.)
Subject: Re: Request for Refund

Mr. Sullivan,
Thank you for the analysis of this failed part. However, the beech marks
on the left of the flat piece, indicate that there was excessive side
loading of the mower deck and linkage causing this failure. This means it
is not a defect in material or workmanship and the unit is out of warranty.
Kubota will not be participating in this repair.
Regards,
Tim Boulds
Assitant Service Manager

"Sullivan, Michael (M.B.)" on 08/12/2003 02:55:41 PM
To: "'tboulds@kubota.com'" <tboulds@kubota.com>
Subject: Request for Refund

Mr. Boulds
Sending this to you per Margurite at Kubota Corporate Customer Service.
Thanks in advance.

> I am writing to request a refund of $79.41 USD from Kubota Corporation
for replacement costs of a defective part on my 2000 Kubota B2710.
>
> The Mower Deck Rear Link (part number K5751-51293) on my B2710 failed due
to an incomplete weld where the bushing cylinder is welded to the link bar>
...> .ref. attached photo 'Kubota Both Ends'.
>
> Evident in the attached picture 'Kubota Bushing End' are the following:
> - The weld was not completed resulting in a small gap that resulted in a
weak spot and stress concentration point. The replacement part was welded
throughout the 360 degree perimeter, as were the bars on 2 B2710's I
reviewed at a Kubota dealer.
> - Fatigue striations radiating from this point showing it is the point
of failure. Striations are also visible on the attached photo titled
'Kubota Both Ends' on both the bushing cylinder and the bar.
>
>
> I have attached a photo of the receipt showing the price paid for the
aforementioned part and the bushing and the pins required to complete the
repair> ...> .ref, attached photo 'Kubota Link Receipt'. I bought the
parts at Boullions Tractor in Dexter. Michigan (I had to cut their header
off in the photo to get sufficient resolution for the prices and part
numbers). I was told the best approach to reach Kubota is through your
corporate headquarters via the website, as the Kubota rep. visits Boullions
infrequently.
>
> While I understand this request is beyond the warranty period, I feel
justified in requesting a refund based on the age and usage of the machine
and the fact that it is clearly a defective part. The failure occurred at
less than 150 hours (ref. attached photo 'Kubota Odometer'), and I estimate
the mower deck was only used around 50 hours of this time. I remove the
deck and pin the arm when not mowing. I take great care of the tractor (it
is stored in my garage whereas more expensive vehicles I own sit out in the
elements), and performing all manual recommended inspections and services.
See attached photo 'Kubota Garage' for general condition of the machine.
>
> As an engineer I fully understand how this type of issue can occur, and
am overall very satisfied with the B2710. I actually hope to upgrade to a
Grand L30 with a backhoe in the next couple years. Please confirm my key
purchase reason on this unit, Kubota's quality and reputation for customer
satisfaction by honoring my legitimate request.
>

/ RC-72 Mower Junk? Ditto Kubota Customer Service? #2  
Using MS Photo Editor, open your picture then click "Image" on the menu at the top, then click on "resize" on the drop-down menu. This will open a little box. In that box click on the little down arrow next to the 100% in the size line. Run it down to about 75% and click "OK". Save the picture then look at the file size using Windows Explorer to make sure it is less than 100K. If not, repeat above.

Should work.

/ RC-72 Mower Junk? Ditto Kubota Customer Service? #3  
M.Sullivan,Hi,I can remember us getting our 2710's at about the same time.I ended up selling ours with the 72" deck that must have had close to 500-600 hrs. on it (the deck that is)

Not a problem one,and I'm sure yours would'nt be troubled if the welds had'nt failed.

I see most of your correspondance has been with Kubota,where does your Dealer come into play?

The Dealer is the one that I would be on to,I'm sure when you bought the replacement parts,they would have seen the defective items first hand.

Did the Dealer just give you the brush-off and tell you that the part was out of warranty and that you needed to go "over their head" and talk to Kubota.com ?

/ RC-72 Mower Junk? Ditto Kubota Customer Service?
Thanks, WVBill! Think I got it...see attached.

MREETER: Yes, the dealer just shrugged it off, and said the Kubtoa rep visits infrequently. Not very impressed by this dealer anyway, which is why I didn't buy it from him (as well as $2000 higher price at the time). They are close, so I go for parts/filters.

I sent another request for status to the Kubota rep....nothing.

Attachments

• 315289-kubota both ends 100k.jpg
    315289-kubota both ends 100k.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 737
   / RC-72 Mower Junk? Ditto Kubota Customer Service? #5  
Re: RC-72 Mower Junk? Ditto Kubota Customer Servi

Michael,

After seeing the photos I think I would have to side with Kubota on this one. It does look lke the weld broke from side impact. Maybe you have rubbed the deck against a tree or fence a few times. I know I have gotten closer to some trees more than I would have liked. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I have the same deck and had a crack in it. (Still don't know what caused it though) My fix was to just weld it up and repaint, and thats what I would have done with your part as well. Life is way to short to worry about small things like this. Kubota still makes a great product and I for one am glad I got mine, even if it does have its few flaws. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ RC-72 Mower Junk? Ditto Kubota Customer Service? #6  
Too bad that you got a dealer that isn't especially helpful /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Mine has been pretty good to me so I've never had to deal with Kubota directly.

But in looking at the picture you sent, I can't see where a weld broke - looks like the break was below the weld point (although how that could happen I don't know - looks like a pretty serious piece of metal to me /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif).

The Kubota rep should reply, though, even if all they say is "we aren't going to pay for it". That is simple common courtesy.

/ RC-72 Mower Junk? Ditto Kubota Customer Service? #7  
Sorry for your problem. The break looks to be at almost the point where it should break if pushed beyond some limit. The flat stack is apparently drilled and a pipe inserted and then welded around it. The weak link broke which in your case could possibly kept something else from bending. The fix would be extremely easy for many of us and for me an oppourtunity to make a more substantial setup. If it were me, I would be talking to my dealer, not Kubota. The dealer is the middleman who should be working with you and not indifferent about it. If they are not interested, keep squeaking the wheel. Fortuantely, your repair looks like a snap to take care of. Best wishes.

/ RC-72 Mower Junk? Ditto Kubota Customer Service? #8  
I had just the opposite experience with my dealer (Antietem Tractor in hagerstown Md. I had a weld break on my grass cathing attachment. There is an bracket that hooks around the rear PTO that the grass catcher bag holder slides into. This piece ends up carrying quite a bit of weight once the bags get filled. I had a seld break on the bracket. Called the dealer, (Justin Reed was my salesman). He said no problem, I'll send you a new one, and send me the broken one. Was very pleased with the service.

THis was an old post, did the dealer or Kubota ever make it right by ya?

/ RC-72 Mower Junk? Ditto Kubota Customer Service? #9  
Everything has a proper chain and you probably have hurt yourself by going the way you did. Your first contact should have been with a dealer and it should have finished there. Yours is so simple and a quick look at the side of the deck could have told someone if it was a natural break or forced or a short weld. But it could have and should have been delt with at the dealer.