WaxMan's Grand L 3240 cab 30 + day review over the B3030

/ WaxMan's Grand L 3240 cab 30 + day review over the B3030 #1  

WaxMan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L 3240 cab BH 92 backhoe
26.6 hrs with 6 hrs not mine. Today is the first day I did some grading with the tractor. On my B3030 I put 690 hrs on it and five years mostly grading. I got pretty good with that bucket. I could scoop a rock up, throw it out of my way, and keep on going. I could grade an area like a pro. Back and forth back and forth thats what I did. If I got into a B3030 today I would know just what to expect.

On the L3240 I'm not as good right now, only because the FEL is so much quicker and more powerful then the B3030. I have a hard time finding the ground. I'm either off the ground with the bucket or lifting the tractor. I just need a little more time adjusting to the new speed and power of the bucket. After all, it's only been a few hours. Today I was pushing some brush down back and I noticed I was taking some of the high spots off the road to my dumping area today - about a 1/4 mile, maybe a little less.
After pushing the pile back I made another pass I cut through the dirt and turf without stopping. I really couldn't believe the tractor just kept going and going all the way to the dump, slicing, leveling roots, anything in its way, a full bucket at the end and a 66 inch patch of leveled ground behind me. I made a few passes and was quite pleased with the results. I would not even attempt that with my B3030.
I am really impressed with the weight over the B3030. I would never be able to do that with the B3030. I would hit a root or rock and be hung up. Not saying a B3030 can't do it, it just can't do it without stopping and a little more effort.
Not only that, I never use 4 wheel drive anymore (well at least in the last 20 hrs). I would never be able to do any of that without 4-wheel-drive on the B3030.

With the quick hitch on, makes the bucket out further, I can't see the bucket or the forks that well. Ever pick up a pallet of rock, but with the forks underneath the pallet instead of in between the slats? It's very hard to get the pallet off once you pick it up that way.

The L3240 might lack power in high gear going up a hill with the backhoe on, but it doesn't lack any power in M with the stall guard on. The auto throttle advance is my favorite. I don't want to use the tractor without it. I try, but then go right back to ATA.
Overall, no complaints about the Grand L 3240, I had no complaints about the B3030 (except for the dust) but I also had nothing to compare it to.

Oh, I do have one complaint. Can anyone tell me why the headlights on the L 40 series are in the middle of the hood instead of the top of the hood? This really bugs me. If you lift the bucket up off the ground the headlight are useless. Are we supposed to lift the bucket over the hood for transport ? I thought we wanted to kept the bucket as low to the ground as possible? I see they changed it back on the L 60 series, Really can anyone tell me why they lowered the headlight?

/ WaxMan's Grand L 3240 cab 30 + day review over the B3030 #2  
To find the ground use the float control with the bucket level gauge in the level position. Once you are level I pull back on the stick to get it out of float and away you go........

/ WaxMan's Grand L 3240 cab 30 + day review over the B3030 #3  
26.6 hrs with 6 hrs not mine. Today is the first day I did some grading with the tractor. On my B3030 I put 690 hrs on it and five years mostly grading. I got pretty good with that bucket. I could scoop a rock up, throw it out of my way, and keep on going. I could grade an area like a pro. Back and forth back and forth thats what I did. If I got into a B3030 today I would know just what to expect.

On the L3240 I'm not as good right now, only because the FEL is so much quicker and more powerful then the B3030. I have a hard time finding the ground. I'm either off the ground with the bucket or lifting the tractor. I just need a little more time adjusting to the new speed and power of the bucket. After all, it's only been a few hours. Today I was pushing some brush down back and I noticed I was taking some of the high spots off the road to my dumping area today - about a 1/4 mile, maybe a little less.
After pushing the pile back I made another pass I cut through the dirt and turf without stopping. I really couldn't believe the tractor just kept going and going all the way to the dump, slicing, leveling roots, anything in its way, a full bucket at the end and a 66 inch patch of leveled ground behind me. I made a few passes and was quite pleased with the results. I would not even attempt that with my B3030.
I am really impressed with the weight over the B3030. I would never be able to do that with the B3030. I would hit a root or rock and be hung up. Not saying a B3030 can't do it, it just can't do it without stopping and a little more effort.
Not only that, I never use 4 wheel drive anymore (well at least in the last 20 hrs). I would never be able to do any of that without 4-wheel-drive on the B3030.

With the quick hitch on, makes the bucket out further, I can't see the bucket or the forks that well. Ever pick up a pallet of rock, but with the forks underneath the pallet instead of in between the slats? It's very hard to get the pallet off once you pick it up that way.

The L3240 might lack power in high gear going up a hill with the backhoe on, but it doesn't lack any power in M with the stall guard on. The auto throttle advance is my favorite. I don't want to use the tractor without it. I try, but then go right back to ATA.
Overall, no complaints about the Grand L 3240, I had no complaints about the B3030 (except for the dust) but I also had nothing to compare it to.

Oh, I do have one complaint. Can anyone tell me why the headlights on the L 40 series are in the middle of the hood instead of the top of the hood? This really bugs me. If you lift the bucket up off the ground the headlight are useless. Are we supposed to lift the bucket over the hood for transport ? I thought we wanted to kept the bucket as low to the ground as possible? I see they changed it back on the L 60 series, Really can anyone tell me why they lowered the headlight?
I never understood the stupid design of those headlights either. I guess they were trying to be cute and look like the Alien from the movie aliens. Really dumb move.

/ WaxMan's Grand L 3240 cab 30 + day review over the B3030
To find the ground use the float control with the bucket level gauge in the level position. Once you are level I pull back on the stick to get it out of float and away you go........
I know what your saying about the float, Sometimes it's too much or not enough with just the float, depends on flat ground slight hills etc. I don't want to just rub the bucket along the ground I want to cut out the high spots. I find when grading you have to constantly adjust for ground conditions.
I'll get used to it, Its just touchier (quicker going up and down then the B3030)

Last edited:
   / WaxMan's Grand L 3240 cab 30 + day review over the B3030 #5  
You will get used to the rapid bucket response after a bit. My Kioti was much faster than my previous machine, but I have totally adapted to it now.

/ WaxMan's Grand L 3240 cab 30 + day review over the B3030 #6  
The position of the head lights is not great. I agree on that. That's probably one of my only complaints with the Grand L 40 series though, and it is not too difficult or expensive to add work lights if you do a lot of night work (not that you should have too do that to get use out of a new tractor....). They may have made the headlights better on the new 60s, but I still prefer the 40 series because I don't care for the implementation of the hood and location of the fuel tank on the new models. YMMV.