Mowing Need help with rotary cutter choice

/ Need help with rotary cutter choice #1  

Deb3

Tractor
Kubota M5040
I own a 4WD Kubota M5040 which has 46 PTO HP and max lifting of 1200 lbs. I am purchasing a Bush Hog Rotary Cutter BH26 which requires a minimum 45 PTO HP and weighs 1095 pounds. Am I cutting it too close? I don't want to damage or bog down the tractor, but I have hills with small cedars that get in my way, so I need something sturdy enough to handle them. Thanks.

/ Need help with rotary cutter choice #2  
I wouldn't worry about it, I used a Land Pride RCR2672 weighing 1046 pounds with my L5030 and it's a lot lighter tractor than yours. I also use a Land Pride HR3584 box scraper on my L5740 weighing well over 1100 pounds and it handles it fine.

/ Need help with rotary cutter choice #3  
...... Am I cutting it too close? I don't want to damage or bog down the tractor......
You're not cutting it too close - the power guidelines are only approximate and the 3 pt lift rating has some tolerance too. You'll be fine with that setup.

/ Need help with rotary cutter choice #4  
Where are you getting that 1200# max lifting number???

Your 3PH will lift 3300 lbs @ 24" and your FEL will lift ~2400 lbs.

Heck, my little L3800 will lift more than 1200 on the 3PH

/ Need help with rotary cutter choice #5  
I run a 6' medium duty cutter on a M5040 and have no problems. As pointed out, the 3pt lift is over 3000#. For the width of the 5040, a 6' cutter is a good match. If you don't have a FEL, you will need front weights probably.

I originally ran that same cutter on a M4700, slightly less pto hp but never had any problems.

When you get into heavy stuff, you'll want to run in first gear anyway and you'll have plenty of horsepower. Normally I run in third gear when mowing except for very thick grass and weeds.

The rule of thumb is a minimum of 5 hp per foot of cutter. You have 7.5 hp so you're doing fine.

/ Need help with rotary cutter choice #6  
I have a Kubota L4600 which specs just a little weaker than your tractor. I have a Woods brush bull 72 that looks close to your rotary cutter, and I love mine almost a perfect match. Mine gets a little heavy if I need to keep the tail wheel up for some reason, but that doesn't happen very often.