BX2230 engine miss

/ BX2230 engine miss #1  

foam4me

Tractor
Kubota BX2230
Recently the engine developed a "miss" that I think is a fuel supply , stop solenoid, seat switch, or something else that causes the engine to hesitate or miss for an instant. I have to think this cannot be good for the transmission. Starting has not been a problem.
Has anyone experienced this and what was the cure? Any possible cause that I have not considered?

/ BX2230 engine miss #2  
You can loosen the fuel line nut at the injector of each cylinder, one at a time... that will cause that particular cylinder not to fire, it will also bleed any air out of the line.
NO amount of 'miss' can have a negative effect on the transmission.

/ BX2230 engine miss #3  
Most common engine miss issue is clogged fuel filters (yes, there are 2 of them). The first one from the tank is underneath, hidden from plain sight, so it's often overlooked.

/ BX2230 engine miss
I am sorry to say this problem has returned. I replaced both fuel filters last year with NAPA brand "equals". They weren't really but I used them anyway (nylon mesh filter instead of pleated paper).The problem went away for almost a year but is back worse than ever; sometimes the motor stalls completely and must be restarted. I replaced both filters again with the correct Kubota part but that hasn't helped. I am wondering if the fuel pump is faulty. When I turn the key on the pump runs continuously (clicking away) but I thought it should stall against back pressure. I really don't know.
As before all helpful suggestions are welcome.

/ BX2230 engine miss #5  
I am sorry to say this problem has returned. I replaced both fuel filters last year with NAPA brand "equals". They weren't really but I used them anyway (nylon mesh filter instead of pleated paper).The problem went away for almost a year but is back worse than ever; sometimes the motor stalls completely and must be restarted. I replaced both filters again with the correct Kubota part but that hasn't helped. I am wondering if the fuel pump is faulty. When I turn the key on the pump runs continuously (clicking away) but I thought it should stall against back pressure. I really don't know. As before all helpful suggestions are welcome.

Some folks here have reported crud or foreign objects in the tank and / or clogged fuel lines between tank and filter. That's the next place I would check. Try taking a line off and see if fuel flows freely.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ BX2230 engine miss #6  
There is always the possibility that a fuel injector has gone bad or is deteriorating. It usually doesn't happen until there are very many hours on the tractor.

Just another possibility, but remote.

Oh, and check the "pig bladder" (that is what my dealer calls it). It is a semi-clear plastic "bladder" that is between the fuel tank and the first filter. It collects garbage like an appendix in the human body. Mine had to be cleaned out once when the engine was running roughly. Follow the fuel line to the tank to see it.

One more thing that others have mentioned. The fuel filler cap on the tank can cause a vacuum if it doesn't vent correctly. Loosen the cap and listen for a vacuum sound when the problem comes up again. I haven't experienced it, but it is mentioned on here every now and again.

/ BX2230 engine miss #7  
Oh, and check the "pig bladder" (that is what my dealer calls it). It is a semi-clear plastic "bladder" that is between the fuel tank and the first filter. It collects garbage like an appendix in the human body. Mine had to be cleaned out once when the engine was running roughly. Follow the fuel line to the tank to see it.

I don't think the BX series is equipped with that feature, I've never noticed it anyway and there's no mention of it in the WSM.

One more thing that others have mentioned. The fuel filler cap on the tank can cause a vacuum if it doesn't vent correctly. Loosen the cap and listen for a vacuum sound when the problem comes up again. I haven't experienced it, but it is mentioned on here every now and again.

That's another good suggestion.

/ BX2230 engine miss #8  
When I turn the key on the pump runs continuously (clicking away) but I thought it should stall against back pressure. I really don't know.

I was trying to solve a wiring problem and questioned my dealer about the pump. He said it is designed to keep running full time when the key is on (because it has to when the tractor is running). There is a bypass that goes back to the tank because it pumps more fuel than is used, so you won't ever stall it out.

Welcome aboard!

/ BX2230 engine miss #9  
I don't think the BX series is equipped with that feature, I've never noticed it anyway and there's no mention of it in the WSM.

The part is on my BX2200. However, it may not be on the BX2230 or on your BX25. Just stabbing at possibilities is all.

Here is a BX2200 WSM page with the "pig bladder" identified as "Fuel Tank 2". It is quite small.

/ BX2230 engine miss #10  
The part is on my BX2200. However, it may not be on the BX2230 or on your BX25. Just stabbing at possibilities is all. Here is a BX2200 WSM page with the "pig bladder" identified as "Fuel Tank 2". It is quite small.

By golly you're right! It's not on the BX25 but i checked the WSM on my previous BX 2200 and there it is. Don't know if it's on the 30 series but I'd definitely check.