Kubota paint recommensations

/ Kubota paint recommensations #1  

HighTwelve

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010, JD 325, JD LX255, JD355D, several restored 1939 to 1952 Ford N’s
I'm embarrassed to admit that my L 3010 has a BIG dent in the left fender as a result of me making a dash for the house and leaving the tractor out in a humongous thunderstorm. You guessed it - a limb came down and whacked the 'bota on the fender, breaking the plastic handle and denting the fender.

I plan to get the fender off this winter and straighten, sand and paint it, hopefully myself but if the steel is too tough to mess with I'll take it to a body shop. I want a really good job.

Any paint recommendations? The body shop that I usually use is a PPG shop. I would assume that PPG has a color match. On the other hand, should I buy paint at the Kubota dealer?

How about replacement decals?

/ Kubota paint recommensations #2  
If it was me, I'd be getting both the paint and the decals from me dealer.

/ Kubota paint recommensations #3  
How old is your tractor? Kubota paint fades about as bad as any I've ever seen.. If you've kept it real nice and waxed since new you might get a perfect match.. Personally, I'd get the the decals from the dealer and have a body shop paint the fender. I'd take the whole tractor there though for the best chance of getting a good match..:2cents:

/ Kubota paint recommensations #4  
I took a piece off my tractor to Menards and they did a color match to mix rustoleum, they just struck the part under their optical color matcher gizmo. My tractor had faded pretty bad, so original color wouldn't match very well. I brushed the rustoleum on because it was on the loader (did some welding), but you could spray it yourself if you have the equipment.

/ Kubota paint recommensations #5  
I'm embarrassed to admit that my L 3010 has a BIG dent in the left fender as a result of me making a dash for the house and leaving the tractor out in a humongous thunderstorm. You guessed it - a limb came down and whacked the 'bota on the fender, breaking the plastic handle and denting the fender.

I plan to get the fender off this winter and straighten, sand and paint it, hopefully myself but if the steel is too tough to mess with I'll take it to a body shop. I want a really good job.

Any paint recommendations? The body shop that I usually use is a PPG shop. I would assume that PPG has a color match. On the other hand, should I buy paint at the Kubota dealer?

How about replacement decals?

I wouldn't be too embarrassed that limb could have come down on your head! You can fix the tractor but if that hits you your hair will probably never part right again!

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Kubota paint recommensations #6  
If you're going to do it yourself I would get Kubota paint. It's much more robust than anything else you can buy. If your paint is faded then it's not going to match. It can be sprayed with an auto paint gun but must be thinned.

/ Kubota paint recommensations #7  
I bought a spray can of kubota orange from TS to spray an area where my boot rubs the paint off and its a perfect match, even seems more durable than the factory paint.

/ Kubota paint recommensations #8  
PPG does have a match in their Industrial line. It's intended for tractors and implements. It's a really good paint and matches well. Your body shop will likely have to buy a gallon as it is different than the Automotive paint.
The TSC paint is a good match and seems to be fairly good paint. Make sure you let it dry for a full day before handling though. It dries slowly. If you need to apply a second coat, do it within 15 minutes or wait 2 full days. If you don't, you'll get some serious wrinkling.
In almost every case, you'll need to prime the part with a white primer to get the bright color. As a rule, orange paints don't cover very well.

/ Kubota paint recommensations #9  
This is good info guys thanks. I have a few areas to touch up on my L 4400

/ Kubota paint recommensations #10  
Kubota factory paint from the dealer is one of the finest tractor paints you are going to find. It's acrylic enamel and is a bargain for the price they sell it for. Tractor stores sell lower quality alkyd enamel that will chalk and fade if exposed to the elements for very long. As well, there is no need to buy high priced PPG paint when you can buy factory paint.

Just paint the fender, buy new decals from the dealer and you'll never know.