BX Alternator kit installation (project)

/ BX Alternator kit installation (project) #1  

Charliebrn

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-2360
As I said earlier, I did purchase the alternator kit for the BX, but I was pretty dissapointed in the documentation, barely legible writing, and what writing there was basically said to look at the pictures which were horrible, completely indecipherable. Anyhow, I put in it today, and everything works as promised. I now have plenty of juice for my lights that i'm about to add (already had two, but I want more for moving snow this winter), and other little goodies like a cab and radio system. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Now I don't have any excuse for adding some cool electronics!!!

This pic is of the kit I bought.

Attachments

• 316284-BX Alternator kit.jpg
    316284-BX Alternator kit.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 3,016
   / BX Alternator kit installation (project)
Step by step
1. Disconnect the battery
2. Take the cowling off. Have a Heineken.
3. Unplug the dynamo (two bullet connectors) and pull out both bolts holding the dynamo in place. Be careful here, as there is a bushing going through the casting for the lower mount. Nowhere did anything mention this, and its nearly invisible in the casting, but it had to come out or you cant mount the larger mounting bolt for the Alternator. The attached pic shows the bushing half out. I had to drive it out with a punch, it was stuck in there pretty good. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Attachments

• 316288-BX Alternator bushing to remove.jpg
    316288-BX Alternator bushing to remove.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 2,207
4. Remove the old top bracket from the thermostat housing and install the new one. The one with the small bend is for the 2200, the one with the large bend is for the 1800. Both are included in the kit.
5. Remove both bolts holding the old regulator from under the dash. It's held down with 2 10mm nuts, and has large aluminum heat fins. It's a tight fin to get in there, but I managed it with 1/4" deepwell sockets. Unplug it fro the harness, but save one of the lock washers and nuts, as you'll have to use it to mount the new relay.
6. Have another beer.
7. bolt on the new alternator, but put the belt over the pulley first, as it's impossible to fit the belt between the pulley and the antifreeze resevoir after its bolted up.

The attached pic shows the arrangement of the new bolt that goes on the bottom mount, as the bushing needs to be in place. Y ou'll also notice that this is how I learned to put the belt on BEFORE mounting the alternator... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Attachments

• 316291-BX Alternator install 1.jpg
    316291-BX Alternator install 1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 2,191
8. route the wiring harness through the firewall. It looks tight, and it is, but there is room for it, as long as you remove the large 6 position molex connector from the bullet connectors.
9. plug the T-shaped connector into the alternator and mount the charge wire to the B connector on the alternator (its the one with the boot attached)

This pic shows the back of the alternator...

Attachments

• 316295-BX Alternator install 2.jpg
    316295-BX Alternator install 2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 2,444
10. Run the battery wire (the other red wire in the harness with a post loop crimped on) through the boot for the starter and mount it along with the battery cable.

Attachments

• 316296-BX Alternator install 2.jpg
    316296-BX Alternator install 2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,532
11. Mount the IC relay to the inside of the dash where you removed the old regulator. It's a lot smaller and only uses one of the posts, so I used the one most out of the way. lug the 4 position molex connector from the new wiring harness into the relay.

12. plug the bullet connectors back into the 6 position molex connector harness and plug that into the harness that was left inside the dash. yes, it looks strange with only two wires going into that harness, but it makes sense if you look at the wiring diagrams in the service book, as most of that wiring was just to regulate the dynamo configuration.

The attached pic shows all of this...

Attachments

• 316298-BX Alternator electronics.jpg
    316298-BX Alternator electronics.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,675
13. Put the cowling back on and have a couple beers to celebrate. Show the wife who'll look at it and nod vacantly. Then call your brother over to check it out, cuz he'll appreciate it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif (my bro has a B6200 and he now wants an alternator for more lights)

The attached pic shows what you'll have left over. If you have less than I do, let me know, cuz I missed something between the beers. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 316300-BX Dynamo kit.jpg
    316300-BX Dynamo kit.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,779
   / BX Alternator kit installation (project) #8  
couple of questions....... first to get this out of the way.... What is the part number of the Amzoil filter that you use? Second, there are two blue wire bullet connectors that appear to be bare in picture #4 directly under the alternator .... Do these get taped up or do they plug into something? I have spoken with the dealer again and he has told me that if I purchase the alternator prior to them doing the set up of the machine, that it would be installed for me at that time at no additional charge. Would you recommend letting the dealer do the change or should I do it myself? Is this the type of job that a sloppy mechanic might cut corners to complete and do a poor job or is it relatively easy and difficult for them to screw up????? Thanks the Junkman

the Amzoil filter is an SDF-20.

I'd let the dealer do it, if I were you, I can't see how they could screw this up, but I don't know your dealer either. If two of them make a good idiot, then maybe you ought to tackle it yourself. the extra blue wires aren't used anymore, and the other ends are in unused places in the 6 position molex, so they aren't hot or used for anything else. Tape them up if you wish. I did, just to keep them out of the way.

/ BX Alternator kit installation (project) #10  
Charlie,

What's the Kubota part number for the alternator kit?

regards,

Mahlon