B 2620 HST/Hydraulic Fluid Change

/ B 2620 HST/Hydraulic Fluid Change #1  

oldballs

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 , Case 448 , Kubota B2650
Okay so I tried the "Search Function". Forget that. In draining the HST filter oil outlet and the Hydraulic filter oil outlet, I get only 2 gallons. The book specifies the capacity as 4 gallons. So I looked for the other elusive drain plugs in the rear end. Let's see??? It looks like most of the bolts are holding the rear end together. Since I own a parts manual, I looked there to see if there is any identification of such. The manual show to likely bolts but calls them "flange bolts"...not drain plugs. Well I loosened one on either side and the oil does drain out. So the job is done. But the Owners Manual sure didn't help me much. Can anybody else confirm my expericence or tell me where I went wrong? Thanks.........Mike........Oh Yeah.......watch out for the little steel ball that is spring loaded on the HST side drain plug.

/ B 2620 HST/Hydraulic Fluid Change #2  
I don't have enough hours on my B2620 yet to do the service but thanks for the heads up on the drain plug,good to know.

/ B 2620 HST/Hydraulic Fluid Change
Thank you kcender....Surely someone has changed out the HST/Hydraulic fluid on the B2620.....will have to wait and see. I was changing mine early just to see how it goes and because I have been pushing it pretty hard with the mowing and using the FEL ( have 150 hrs on it). And besides, I already had purchased the Super UDT in 2009 when owing the BX, which was traded in 2012 for the B2620. The Super UDT isn't available anymore since the Super UDT "2" came out.

/ B 2620 HST/Hydraulic Fluid Change #4  
It sounds like you found all the drain plugs. I'm not familiar with the B2620, but on the B2630,B3030 there are three drain plugs. One for the transmission and one on each side of the rear axle housing.

Vic

/ B 2620 HST/Hydraulic Fluid Change #5  
There should not be any spring loaded steel ball in the drain plug. You must have pulled out something else:eek:
You can tell the drain plug as it is centered between 2 mounting bolts and if you look carefully you will see it only screws into the outer housing and not both inner and outer. It also will have a brass or aluminum washer.

Last edited:
Thanks kuboman. I just studied the Owner Manual again, and really think I followed it for both the HST and Hydraulic filter drain plugs. I did find the ( one left /one right) axle housing bolts that are for drain purposes when I did the work originally....but they were not all that obvious to me. I took some pictures this morning and hope to struggle through to get them posted.

I think it was "John Thomas", TBN member, who said that one should be cautious about taking it as gospel from those that don't have the exact same Kubota model. For example, I believe it was an Orange Tractor tutorial that talked about a strainer on the B2620. Mine doesn't have a strainer.....at least the manual doesn't say so...and I've never found one.

Cheers, Mike

IMG_0673.JPGIMG_0673.JPGIMG_0674.jpgIMG_0675.jpg Well, it took longer to post these pictures than it did to drain the fluid. Apparently I was not suppose to remove the bolt at the base of the HST filter (the one with the spring and ball). So I stand corrected.....I did not follow the OE manual. Thus it looks like the bolt at the base of the mid PTO (17 mm) and the (12 mm) middle bolt on on either side of the rear axle case are the three that one removes to do a complete fluid drain. Am I stupid, blind or just hard headed. :confused2: Thanks everybody. Mike

/ B 2620 HST/Hydraulic Fluid Change #8  
View attachment 334073View attachment 334073View attachment 334074View attachment 334075 Well, it took longer to post these pictures than it did to drain the fluid. Apparently I was not suppose to remove the bolt at the base of the HST filter (the one with the spring and ball). So I stand corrected.....I did not follow the OE manual. Thus it looks like the bolt at the base of the mid PTO (17 mm) and the (12 mm) middle bolt on on either side of the rear axle case are the three that one removes to do a complete fluid drain. Am I stupid, blind or just hard headed. :confused2: Thanks everybody. Mike

Thanks for info.
As you age and millions of bits of data go thru your brain to be processed, stored and or deleted you'll delete/store some good and bad data. When you return to do this job again 2/3/4/5/6 years from now you may have co-mingled/deleted this data. I'd suggest, since I've had this happen a lot and it's getting more frequent the further away I get from July 1947, that you put some white or black or whatever other color paint you have on the heads of the bolts that need to be removed. Looks clean enough now to hold paint.

/ B 2620 HST/Hydraulic Fluid Change #9  
So in your last 2 pictures there is a drain on your mid pto and the other picture the drain is the one between the 2 outer mounting bolts. Both sides are identical.

/ B 2620 HST/Hydraulic Fluid Change #10  
Looks like you found the right ones in the pictures. I believe you are correct that you do not have strainer. I thought my 3200 did not have one too because of the the 2620 I had before but discovered I was wrong with careful investigation and some smarter than me members here.:shocked: