WaxMan's Modifications to the 2013 Grand L 3240 cab

/ WaxMan's Modifications to the 2013 Grand L 3240 cab #102  
On my 3240 it's a long drop to the ground when getting out of the cab and I'm only going to get older. I always wanted to add another step. I was going to order another one but why wait for one to come in. I took both steps off which are both the same. I cut the first step off the frame cut it down 1 inch and welded it back on the mount before cutting the next step off the frame. This way I can have a pattern for the same angle.
So it's five inches lower then the original step and 13 inches off the ground (was 18 inches) but Oh so much more comfortable getting in and out. The subframe is 12 inches off the ground so it's not the lowest thing hanging down.
Will I bent it , knock it off? Who knows? I don't worry about hitting telephone poles with the fender of my car and I'm not going to worry about hitting the step.
18 inches is a big jump down the extra step just makes it easer. I still have to paint it

l2tPkDo.jpg

TwFaZ9X.jpg

l2YT5T4.jpg

68awaMz.jpg

FSk7O8d.jpg

NaNdS8N.jpg

BSaJwz7.jpg

Is the frame of the upper step and mounting point on the cab strong enough to support the second step? When I have tried adding a second step onto an upper one, it sticks out farther from the cab than the original step and the torque of the second step really makes the upper step and mounting point flex. I usually end up adding reinforcing bars back to the tractor frame for the second step.

This step all I did was add more surface area, and it moved the forces out farther from the tractor, and I had to reinforce the step frame accordingly.

lippert 1.jpg

/ WaxMan's Modifications to the 2013 Grand L 3240 cab #103  
My brother made this modification on my L5740 HSTC and have had no problems to date, we initially thought additional bracing would be needed, but no problems so far.

/ WaxMan's Modifications to the 2013 Grand L 3240 cab
Best thing I did to the tractor was to double up on the step.
As you show in my pictures, I cut the first step down a little first. The second step is also shorter then the original. The second step comes off the same angle as the first step, so as it goes down lower it also goes out further as it goes down. I think if you doubled up the two original length steps it would be too low, and stick out too much. That being said TripleR did his that way and it works for him.

I didn't need a wider step but a lower one. I believe my double step is only 5 inches lower then the original. But it makes a big difference.
It's a pretty strong mounting area on the Grand L 40 and does not flex. I'm 235 lbs and no problems for about a 100hrs of use.
I also added two pieces of 1/8 2 inch flat stock on the sides of the double step so you can't tell its two steps welded together makes a smoother cleaner look. But it still mounts up as that factory step did with no other brackets etc.

View attachment 387179

I think by extending the step out as you did in your picture, is different then bringing it down at the same angle as I did. You made yours into a right angle. So there is more leverage. It's hard to tell from your picture how far it sticks out.

/ WaxMan's Modifications to the 2013 Grand L 3240 cab #106  
I like the bigger surface area on DWTools step, it is similar to the OEM on our M8540, I may look into doing something similar on mine someday, I have "drop-foot" and worry about stepping through.

2013 Kubota Grand L 3240 cab and BH 92 backhoe with factory hydraulic thumb. With the things I have done.
Everything is pretty well documented here on TBN in this thread and others.
Tractor is still in new condition with 165 hrs, excellent condition. Still on factory warranty.
I'm thinking of getting something a little smaller, without a backhoe. Possibly the JD 3033R.

But before giving any more thought of buying something else, I need to find a home for my Kubota first. So the next step is to see if there is any interest, if not, I still have a quality tractor I could live with.

So if you know anybody looking for a well taken care of tractor with a few extras, pass this on. If any interest, Pm me, rather then post publicly.
Any of the add-ons can be removed if not wanted.

Factory options

724 Larger capacity loader
Kubota two lever quick hitch for bucket
Loaded rear tires
Factory cab work lights
Rear wiper/washer
Backhoe rubber stabilizer pads
Factory Backhoe hydraulic thumb
Factory A/C
Factory manuals

Added options

Auto bucket stop at level option,
Electronic bucket indicator
Backup camera,
Front bucket cam
Inclinometer meter / 4wheel drive indicator
8 inch high brightness video monitor
Custom gauges,
Custom vertical exhaust stack
Central Vacuum
Radio
Cab ICC lights

Last edited:
   / WaxMan's Modifications to the 2013 Grand L 3240 cab #108  
Wax man Kinda shocked that your Green with envy! Sent from my iPhone 5s 64Gb using TractorByNet

Wax man Kinda shocked that your Green with envy! Sent from my iPhone 5s 64Gb using TractorByNet
You don't think I would look good in green?

WaxMan:cool:
to preserve and protect

/ WaxMan's Modifications to the 2013 Grand L 3240 cab #110  
Does it come with that short shorts bucket option?
I somehow missed that one when I got my LA724.