Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    L2550

Default Re: WaxMan's Modifications to the 2013 Grand L 3240 cab

Keep showing us your innovations. They make us think "outside the box". Personally I would not have any inclination to do these things to my tractor simply because it is a working machine and gets covered with dust and mud with scratches from trees or whatever. It is sometimes left out with the cows at 8pm after spending the day on it maintaining 75 acres if my car is closer than the 4000' to the tractor shed. At first I did but I have little inclination to make it look new now. I just use it and mechanically take care of it so it runs tomorrow.

Keep up the good work. Gotta go out and put on the 10' pasture harrow, chase cows and make some snakes mad.

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Nice job. Really nice to see your level of skill and creativity. I wasn't sure about the benefit of the camera on the loader, but as soon as I saw your pic of the forks going into the pallet, I knew how useful that would be to have. Right now, I have to stand up to see the tips of my forks. It's a little tricky stepping on the throttle while standing and steering, so your method is a huge improvement!!!!

Eddie

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L 3240 cab BH 92 backhoe

Quote Originally Posted by 4shorts View Post
    Well I for one am glad to see the thread up and also happy to see you MIGHT have agreed with me on the possibility of tearing the camera boom off with brush as I mentioned in the past thread because you've went back and re-designed it. Watermarking each photo. Good move.

Just to Make you feel a little better I will mount a front camera on the Grand L. Don't worry, not the way you did it. I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers
    Paul I haven't re-designed anything, sorry to break it to you but this was my idea from the beginning.

This was from my Thread that was closed, This was posted on the first day. read the last paragraph.

08-19-2013, 06:56 PM #2
    WaxMan
    Platinum Member
    Join DateNov 2008Posts609LocationUSA ConnecticutTractorKubota Grand L 3240 cab BH 92 backhoe
    Re: Front Bucket Cam, Gauges and Central Vacuum system installed on my Grand L 3240

I purchased the Agcam monitor and one camera. The monitor can handle up to four cameras on the screen at once, Before hooking up the backup camera I thought I would experiment with a camera up front. If it didn't worked well I would just put the camera in the rear for a backup camera, If it did I would buy another one for the back.

I made the front camera mount it in two pieces, one piece is bolted to the quick hitch using the two quick hitch bolts, the other end is easily removed with a twist by hand unhooking the cable and slide the camera rod out of the base when using the FEL for heavy duty Fel work, working in brush etc, even though the camera is indestructible.
    By mounting it to the quick hitch I can change between the bucket and forks without any problems with the camera stick installed.
    Last edited by WaxMan; 08-31-2013 at 02:32 PM.
    "I never turn down thoughts and advice from others.
    I'm just not smart enough to know all and think of everything on my own. Those that think they are, are fools."
    (WaxMan)

Stack………..… Inclinometer……….FEL Indicator…..…… ICC Lights…..….…
    Bucket Cam ……… Double Step……..Auto Level ……..…..Tilt Wheel ……

WaxMan
    to preserve and protect

Tractor

I thank all of you for your replies,
    Cab cam makes a waterproof monitor for those of you with open stations.

Cabcam Monitor 7" Color LCD Weatherproof Waterproof Surveillance Safety | eBay
    I'm just not smart enough to know all and think of everything on my own. Those that think they are, are fools."
    (WaxMan)

WaxMan
    to preserve and protect

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by EddieWalker View Post
    Nice job. Really nice to see your level of skill and creativity. I wasn't sure about the benefit of the camera on the loader, but as soon as I saw your pic of the forks going into the pallet, I knew how useful that would be to have. Right now, I have to stand up to see the tips of my forks. It's a little tricky stepping on the throttle while standing and steering, so your method is a huge improvement!!!!

Eddie
    Thanks Eddie , Same here, thats why I came up with the idea, I can't stand up in the cab so it was just a guessing game.

It's also very nice for finish grading.

(WaxMan)

WaxMan
    to preserve and protect

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by TripleR View Post
    I love the step modification, I am going to see if I can get someone to fab one up for me, I am now using a step stool to get into my L5740.
    Thanks TripleR, It really makes a big difference.

SRS I do have a question. Is there much flexing on the steps when entering/exiting the cab? Since the steps are longer (taller) I wonder if you'll need to add a supporting rod to keep the steps from bending/flexing. Stanley
    Stanley----Kubota B3030 HSDC
    Stanley even with it sticking out a little more, there doesn't seem to be any more flexing then it did with only one step. Can't really compare now I only have one step or one twin step.
    (WaxMan)

WaxMan
    to preserve and protect

Glad to see your thread back. While I don't really need any of the mods you did I do like to see what others do to customize their tractors.

Have you thought about modifying your front camera mount (in the future) so it's extendable? Kind of like how a pole for a swimming pool vac can be adjusted. A few feet could make quite a bit of difference. You might even be able to make it so you would never have to remove it. Just collapse it all the way down were a metal guard would protect it. Just a thought.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    Glad to see your thread back. While I don't really need any of the mods you did I do like to see what others do to customize their tractors.

Have you thought about modifying your front camera mount (in the future) so it's extendable? Kind of like how a pole for a swimming pool vac can be adjusted. A few feet could make quite a bit of difference. You might even be able to make it so you would never have to remove it. Just collapse it all the way down were a metal guard would protect it. Just a thought.
    Thanks crazyal, Yes I have thought of that, You can buy 12 volt lift gate openers that extend. They have them in many different sizes and have the ability to retract and extend as needed. It would be much more involved and the cable would have to run on the outside but it can be done. I agree it is a good Idea to be able to retract it.

What I did, for now, keeps it simple, the camera works great in a fixed position, and as you know can be removed in seconds for work that does not require a camera.
    I'm just going to keep it on until I see where the problems areas are then improve it. Maybe do what you suggested.

After I tried it for three hours last week, I found no need to make any changes, at this time. but like everything else there is always room for improvements.
    I also thought of a remote pan and tilt for the camera, but again all that I can't see, is only right in front of the bucket so the fixed camera head covers that area. So pan tilt is out.

I know it looks like it sticks out, but what is it going to hit past the front fork cage, or the bucket for that matter, it always stays with the curl of the bucket.

Now that my Bucket Cab idea is out there, I'm sure you will see many new ways of doing it. I love getting ideas from other people and using them, thats what makes a successful project. Same with life, Successful people surround themselves with people with ideas. Thank you for your input and great Idea. Any other ideas I would love to hear them.

This is the part I thought of

11 8" Stroke 107 lb 12 Voltdc Linear Actuator 5 1577 12 | eBay

I actually emailed the guy asking if the shaft rotates when it extends, but never got a reply back. Don't think he knew the answer.
    This is what I said on my last post after actually using it.

Yesterday I used the front bucket for the first time with the camera on it, for three hours. Filling in a low spot on my lawn with five bucket loads of top soil and leveling out my dump down in the woods. It works really well, l I don't think I would ever use the tractor without the camera now, you always know what your bucket is doing. With the monitor right in front of you it's hard not to look at it. No problems at all with anything hitting the camera, not even a close call. I'm not going to waste my time hooking up some sort of spring mechanism. If I was going to hit it, I would have hit it today. In the woods, grass and brush no problems.

What the camera really comes in handy for is cleaning up the rocks after finish grinding. Now when I float the bucket down to get the rocks and debris off the grass I can see if I'm digging up some turf before it happens, I caught myself a number of times yesterday starting to peal the turf, the monitor lets me stop and correct the bucket to fine tune what I'm doing. I know this could be done without a monitor but if the ground is uneven like mine most times is, the bucket could be digging in on one side and not the other. I'm really impressed with it, I can't believe this hasn't been done before. You guys remember where you saw the first front bucket cam. Basically the monitor lets you double check what you're doing as you're doing it. To me this is going to get a lot more use then my back up camera is. It's an expensive mod I know, but so is my tractor.

The first picture is on my lawn. I should have taken more pictures. I have never been able to grade and clean up all the rocks before without getting out of the tractor at some point and pick up the rocks by hand. I could just skim that bucket along the grass watching for any problems in the monitor. I just wish I had a better way to show what I'm talking about. I have a video line out on the monitor but not a video line in on my HD camcorder. Otherwise I could show you one unbelievable video. I guess I'll try holding the video camera and see how that comes out. Sorry about the pictures they were an after thought. I wish I had 4shorts car cam that would show how well it works.

Last edited by WaxMan; 08-31-2013 at 02:23 PM.
    (WaxMan)

WaxMan
    to preserve and protect

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

I can stand up and get the forks in the pockets OK, but I can sure see how it would be useful for trying to hold a grade and get the angles right.. I done some of that a couple of days ago, Trying to keep a guys yard level while scraping up a bunch of dirt/rock/debris that has been laying there 2 years and was like concrete here in august. It was hard to tell where the dirt/debris ended and the old yard level began. I did a pretty good job, but I sure went slow. Anyway, nice mods, all of them.

James K0UA
    James KØUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

With a cab it's not so easy to stand up or peer around things.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast