WaxMan's Modifications to the 2013 Grand L 3240 cab

/ WaxMan's Modifications to the 2013 Grand L 3240 cab #1  

WaxMan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L 3240 cab BH 92 backhoe
This may not be for everyone, but this is what I did for gauges and monitor.

First I wanted to have the least obstructive gauge set I could find with the smallest footprint. For what I had in mind and the limited space I had to mount them. I could not find anything anywhere that I liked and that was small enough for the space. I had no choice but to make my own.
I had to get the backup monitor mounted and up out of the way, I used the adjustable mount that came with the monitor. I removed the cheap stick-on double sided tape base and machined an aluminum mounting adaptor to mount it securely to the dash. I bought an Agcam camera and monitor, it's a lot more expensive but you see where the camera is mounted you'll understand why. I wanted a strong camera to hold up.

Once the monitor was installed I was able to see what space I had left to work with, for the gauges.
I searched for a long time for gauges before deciding on theses MaxTow diesel gauges. I like the analog and digital in the same gauge kinda like my Kubota dash analog and digital.

For the gauge pods I used 2 inch copper pipe scrap that I had laying around, I cut it into four sections, I had to bore the insides larger on my lathe to make a 2 1/16 '' gauge fit into the copper pipe, then I had to figure out how to bolt down the gauges in the 4 pipe sections (and) mount the four pipe sections as one unit (and) hide all the wires. I had some ideas but all involved soldering a lot off little washers to the copper gauge pods. I don't plan things out like an engineer I end up making stuff as I go as problems arise, I'm always changing things it seems from the original plan in my head.

After some thought, I milled a 3/4 inch copper pipe in half on the Bridgeport, (another thing I had on hand) then milled out each copper gauge pod to fit the half round 3/4 pipe then silver soldered it all together.
With that 3/4 copper pipe idea I now had a way to mount the gauges in the copper pods, I had a place to run the wires toward the middle without showing and I was able to mount the whole gauge assembly to the 1/8 thick copper flat stock base with three small hex screws.

I sandblasted the whole setup first, then I use high heat auto engine paint, with that paint still wet I heat it in an old toaster oven at 300 degrees for about thirty minutes , the paint shrinks into the sandblasted nooks and crannies, by doing this the finish is bonded to the sandblasted metal, baked on, to a hard, thin, scratch and chip resistant finish, dry and ready for use. On larger pieces I use my heat gun. I learned this trick years ago by accident from being impatient waiting for paint to dry. Makes the finish like a factory job. I just wish I dusted the gauges off before taking the pictures.

AtTDc9O.jpg

tLkxNxv.jpg

MH1IGT8.jpg

kXkyjny.jpg

BofzUt5.jpg

aUTLj8z.jpg

jodEdRb.jpg

oBxurXJ.jpg

6cXvxy8.jpg

s2Zy8l4.jpg

TLgivSr.jpg

kf1HQTA.jpg

XJOb7pc.jpg

Last edited:
   / WaxMan's Modifications to the 2013 Grand L 3240 cab
I purchased the Agcam monitor and one camera. The monitor can handle up to four cameras on the screen at once, Before hooking up the backup camera I thought I would experiment with a camera up front. If it didn't worked well I would just put the camera in the rear for a backup camera, If it did I would buy another one for the back.

I made the front camera mount it in two pieces, one piece is bolted to the quick hitch using the two quick hitch bolts, the other end is easily removed with a twist by hand unhooking the cable and slide the camera rod out of the base when using the FEL for heavy duty Fel work, working in brush etc, even though the camera is indestructible.

By mounting it to the quick hitch I can change between the bucket and forks without any problems with the camera stick installed. It is removable in seconds by loosening the retaining nut by hand unhook the cable and pull the camera stick out of the attached mount, then you slide in a dummy plug sealed with an O-ring to keep dirt and water out of the tube it also it keeps the wire safe and dry in the tube.

The front bucket cam is made to be an attachment, to be removed and installed in seconds when needed. It is not a permanent mounted stick.
But you can leave it on all the time if you want.
I'm showing many pictures to show that nothing interferes with the camera head, stick or mount.

x8XTZD8.jpg

a04vUZv.jpg

LlIL07b.jpg

Q9qaH18.jpg

b5nr7U3.jpg

y0nLUMs.jpg

uaQE5aW.jpg

3kBTeoF.jpg

8iRtGpv.jpg

omyxAGn.jpg

rqm1Cua.jpg

8wBhTKH.jpg

Doing heavy brush work or working in the woods, just remove the camera stick from the tube, install the O-ring sealed tube plug and be on your way no tools needed.

EoI5R5Z.jpg

The tubes are 3/4 inch galvanized electrical conduit. That is why no paint is on them.

hiEV9m6.jpg

Last edited:
You can see by the pictures what the operator sees looking out the window and what the camera sees in the monitor.
I thought I would use it around the yard and see if its useful or just a pain with that rod sticking out. So far I like it, especially in and near my wife's flower garden where feel and guess work cause problems. It is just amazing how gentle you can be once you see what the blade is doing.

The absolute best use for the camera is picking up pallets.
I don't know about you guys but I can't see my forks going into the pallets before I pick them up. Just can't see them, Before it was a guessing game, ever pick up a pallet and the forks go underneath instead of getting between the slats? It's very hard to get the pallet off the forks if you pick up the pallet from the bottom. Not anymore look how great you can see what your doing with a front bucket cam. The Agcam sure does cost a lot more but I think it's worth it, even in direct sunlight the monitor looks great, Just a note these pictures were taken on a very cloudy day.

The front Bucket Cam, To See What You Can't See

JR4a8YE.jpg

4Kj8H1x.jpg

Look at this next picture, look out the window, that is the operator sees, now look at the monitor.

hjG4GOj.jpg

ospyxZN.jpg

vHGwQn7.jpg

UopGLZV.jpg

Last edited:
Every time I get in the cab I drag dirt it, No big deal, but after a while it builds up on the floor then it just blows around inside the cab with the air conditioner. So every now and then I drag out the shop vac and clean it up. Not any more, now whenever I need to clean up the floor I just flip a switch and clean it up.
I installed a central vacuum system.
The Vacuum is a Metro 12 volt car vacuum, it's small in size and is all metal. 61.00 on Amazon 25.00 used on ebay. First I removed the switch, handle and feet to the vacuum. Then I sealed the holes rewired it direct because the switch will now be in the cab

Just so happens there was a rubber plug in the cab just about the right size for the vacuum hose.

The complete vacuum was installed without drilling any mounting holes.
Only one 7/16 bolt holds the whole unit on. If I ever want to take it off just remove that one bolt and put the rubber plug back in, back to factory Kubota.
It's not super powerful but it gets all the dirt and dust off the floor because its a mat and not a carpet it works very well.
You say just get a brush and brush the dirt out? but the mat has indents around the pedals and the only way to get it out is to vacuum. Still have to hook up a switch and a rubber elbow on the outlet to stop water from entering.

VGF5tyM.jpg

65RHHLj.jpg

WmQKcZA.jpg

ljGFjN7.jpg

vfFjpIQ.jpg

CWubC2t.jpg

On my 3240 it's a long drop to the ground when getting out of the cab and I'm only going to get older. I always wanted to add another step. I was going to order another one but why wait for one to come in. I took both steps off which are both the same. I cut the first step off the frame cut it down 1 inch and welded it back on the mount before cutting the next step off the frame. This way I can have a pattern for the same angle.
So it's five inches lower then the original step and 13 inches off the ground (was 18 inches) but Oh so much more comfortable getting in and out. The subframe is 12 inches off the ground so it's not the lowest thing hanging down.
Will I bent it , knock it off? Who knows? I don't worry about hitting telephone poles with the fender of my car and I'm not going to worry about hitting the step.
18 inches is a big jump down the extra step just makes it easer. I still have to paint it

l2tPkDo.jpg

TwFaZ9X.jpg

l2YT5T4.jpg

68awaMz.jpg

FSk7O8d.jpg

NaNdS8N.jpg

BSaJwz7.jpg

/ WaxMan's Modifications to the 2013 Grand L 3240 cab #7  
Nice work Waxman. I especially like the gauges, reminds me of my teen years when installed custom gauges in all my cars.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ WaxMan's Modifications to the 2013 Grand L 3240 cab #8  
Nice work Waxman. Nice to see you back!

Unofficial, self appointed, member of Team Wax.

/ WaxMan's Modifications to the 2013 Grand L 3240 cab #9  
Hey wax, dont know whats going on with your (and others threads regarding your posts) threads. Looks like somebody has it out for you:eek:

Anyways, like I said before, good work! Youre thinking outside the box with that vac, albeit not my thing.:thumbsup:

/ WaxMan's Modifications to the 2013 Grand L 3240 cab #10  
Waxman, I like your imagination and your fabrication skills. Everything looks professionally done.

The cool thing about self-customization is that you get what you want, not what someone-else thinks you want. I like building things that make other people scratch their heads and say, "Why?" Well, it works for me for what I do. Hats off to you.

Keep the projects coming!

Joe