Ballast Wheel weights on a BX

/ Wheel weights on a BX #1  

Junkman

Tractor
2003 Kubota BX-22
I am getting my BX 22 hopefully in a day or so and have been thinking about the need for the wheel weights. The rear wheels are already stamped for the attaching bolts and I know that they are the same as those used on other tractors that use the 12" rim. Does anyone use weights on their BX or have any opinion on the benefit or lack there of? I would assume that if Kubota put the holes in the wheels and they offer the weights, that they feel that there would be times that you would have a need for them. I already have the weights and unless it is a sin to use weights that say "Bolens" on a Kubota. I was thinking of doing it... but I will paint them Kubota orange beforehand...... Wonder if the Kubota weights are marked Kubota????????

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Wheel weights on a BX #2  
I have a BX 22 as well, but I don't have the wheel weights. I can tell you on thing for certain, If you plan on using the front end loader by itself, without the backhoe on you will definatley need some type of weight on the rear. I don't think wheel weights would be heavy enough for this purpose. Either keep the Back Hoe on when using the loader, or get a 3 point hitch ballast box. I have tried to use the loader without any rear weight (Hoe off) and it is very dangerous, could cause a turn over accident.

Perhaps you have other plans for the wheel weights that don't involve the loader, which the weights might be ok for. If memory serves me right, Kubota does not approve the use of the weights if the backhoe is on the tractor. Kubota says the weights in conjunction with the backhoe can damage the transmission.
Good luck
Greg

/ Wheel weights on a BX #3  
I have the wheel weights and they only weigh 53 pounds each.not really substantial.the attach to the wheels vis bots in those holes and then through the weight itself.

I am getting a front blade soon and have decided to get the ballast box for more weight! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I took mine off my BX2200 to lighten it up for mowing and seriously doubt if they are enough for use with the front blade

/ Wheel weights on a BX #4  
Make some of these to put on it.

Attachments

• 319913-WheelWeightWC.jpg
    319913-WheelWeightWC.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 763
   / Wheel weights on a BX #5  
If you are like me (can't weld), try buying EZ Weights. The brackets cost less than $40 for the pair and you can buy new or used weight plates locally. They are very easy to take off and put on, well thought out, and well supported. They make brackets for everything from lawn tractors on up. Picture of mine attached.
Mark

Attachments

• 319923-EZWeights.jpg
    319923-EZWeights.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 544
   / Wheel weights on a BX #6  
Hi Junkman- I do not use wheel weights on my BX22.

Either use a tiller, backhoe or use the 3-pt hitch and make a box on it and fill with weight.

It might be cheaper then buying a Kubota weight box (over $100 just for box) etc. Some people on here (TBN) had some good "home made" boxes.

I just use the tiller or hoe. Plus it does not scratch the rims!

/ Wheel weights on a BX #7  
I thought Bolens was the Italian word for Kubota, at least that is what my wheel weights say. Isn't that what everyones say /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I actually did exactly what you are contemplating. I took my old Bolens weights off my Cub Cadet 1811 re-painted them from white to Kubota Orange, bought slightly longer carriage bolts and bolted them on my BX1800.

I like having them on for a little extra traction. I did not have my tires loaded, so this gives me some extra traction. I also have a rear ballast box for loader work, but when plowing, I can't use that so these help.

You can't read it in the picture, and my camera no longer works since my son accidentally dropped it, so I can't get a better picture but for what it's worth, here is what they would look like.

Attachments

• 319972-P6020022.JPG
    319972-P6020022.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,475
   / Wheel weights on a BX #8  
Here is one more view. If you don't get too close, you can't tell the difference!

Attachments

• 319974-P6020028.JPG
    319974-P6020028.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,166
   / Wheel weights on a BX #9  
Those really look like the way to go, Mark...bolt-on and easy!

BTW, I enjoyed your bio. Nice Adirondak furniture, too. <G>

/ Wheel weights on a BX #10  
For serious loader work, I hook up a barrel with gravel to the back and add 400lbs of plate weight to the EZWeights (see pic). My tires are loaded, too. When I mow, I stack the weights on either side, remove the loader and barrel, and hook up the mower - got it all down to about 10-15 minutes now.

Thanks for the kind words, Jim! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark

Attachments

• 320047-forksweightchainsaw2.JPG
    320047-forksweightchainsaw2.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 494