BX Tie-Rod boot ripped

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #11  
Re: BX Tie-Rod boot ripped (partnumbers PLEASE?)

Mine have been torn off and gone for 8yrs/2000hrs. Idly worrying about it has been effective so far.
larry

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #12  
Include me as well, tore mine last month, BX23. I would like to see the boot protector techman, sounds like a great idea, can you get us a picture?

Here is a picture of the tie rod end with the boot cover.

Paul

Attachments

• Boot Cover.JPG
    Boot Cover.JPG
    305.5 KB · Views: 868
   / BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #14  

Mine have been torn off and gone for 8yrs/2000hrs. Idly worrying about it has been effective so far.
larry

I noticed my boots were cracked a bit but I'm probably going to go this route. If I have to replace the whole thing, then I'll wait until one breaks or stops moving. Until then, if it works it works and there's no real need for me to mess with it.

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #15  

I noticed my boots were cracked a bit but I'm probably going to go this route. If I have to replace the whole thing, then I'll wait until one breaks or stops moving. Until then, if it works it works and there's no real need for me to mess with it.
It may be worse to leave the boot on after it is breached. It might hold water and keep it wet. Im rather surprised that mine show absolutely no ill effect from running open. If I were to guess Id predict 10,000 hrs to wear out/fail.
larry

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #17  
When mine split, I cleaned it up good with brake cleaner an applied some "Goop" repair in a tube. Let it set up for 24 hours and it's been fine for nearly a year now.

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #18  
I have not given it a good look and it is currently over on my property, but curious if those of you that have been up close and personal if you believe I could tap a Zerk fitting in somewhere and forget replacing the boot?

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #19  
I did the same on my truck. They were split on the ball joints when I got it. I cleaned with brake kleen and put black rtv on cracks

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped
I have not given it a good look.......but curious ......if you believe I could tap a Zerk fitting in somewhere and forget replacing the boot?

No way. Its an axial ball joint, there is no mild steel 'cap' its all forged steel. Look at the pic at top of the thread. Agreed removing a torn boot altogether is better than one with a rip. It looks crappy and unmaintained but if the boot is gone it looks fine.