BX Tie-Rod boot ripped

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
BX Tie-Rod boot ripped (partnumbers PLEASE?)

I am selling my BX24 so I want to replace my "bike tube repair" with a new boot that looks nice.

Reading up on the forum: I know the ball joint will last long even without a boot. The bicycle tube repair is easy and it's all good (except at time of sale). There are lots of other ways, glues, covers wraps, TractorByNet search: "35080-44680" gets a bunch of repairs. I just want to replace the OEM boot so my tractor doesn't look shabby when it gets down to the nitty-gritty (price). It bugs me to have to buy the whole ball-joint just to get the boot.

After an hour of research I find that:

1) so Kubota ONLY sells the whole ball joint end for $47 ( Kubota part K2561-01630 )
2) The L3240 guys just go to the dealer and buy a new 35080-44680 boot for $10
3) The 35080-44680 which sells for $16.43 some places
4) NewHolland seems to use the 35080-44680 boot and (Wade Tractor & Equipment, Inc. - New Holland Dealer) lists it for $9.83 but doesn't sell online.
5) Others say it ought to be a standard auto part you can get for $3. Which sounds feasible, but again, no partnumber.
6) My local Kubota dealer has the L4400 boot (35080-44680) for $27 but he doesn't know if it will fit the BX24.
7) Messicks only knows about the $47 option they don't know if another boot fits.

Here's a pic of the knuckle with a (slightly) torn boot. (not my pic, pic stolen from 'Milkman')
99799d1207605464-torn-bx24-tie-rod-boot-nudirtyboot.jpg

So if anyone knows if the 35080-44680 truly fits a BX24..... OR where to get something that fits (this $3 part) for a reasonable price,,,,, and can post info ASAP so it appears on the first page,,,, I bet lots of members will appreciate the easy to find info.

Attachments

• Kubota_K2561-01630_boot.jpg
    Kubota_K2561-01630_boot.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 723
Last edited:
   / BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #2  
I have the same need - torn steering rod boot on my BX1500. I don't see where the universal auto part tie rod end dust covers would work since they do not have to flex side to side. On automotive tie rods the shaft just rotates whereas the tractor toe rod shaft swings side to side. I've measured the BX boot dimensions to be: small end 13.5mm, large end 36mm, length 26mm. All measurements are approximate. Next time I'm by a dealer I will measure boots on some other models and see what might fit the BX.

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #3  
Well a way back I bit the bullet and bought a new tie rod end to fix the torn boot, since I could not find new boots that fit. I then went to the local hyd hose supplier and bought a foot of the black woven poly cover that is used to cover hoses. I cut about 2" and used a match to adhere the threads on the ends. I then used a soldering iron and put 6 holes in each end. The iron fused the edges of the holes. The sleeves were installed over the tie rod joints and boots. Each end was secured through the holes with a long tie wrap. These fabric sleeves have protected the boots for several years now and eliminated the chance of brush tearing the boots.

paul

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped
Spurlock, the Automotive tie rod end swings side to side too, to accomodate the suspension travel.

Yes Techman I saw where you mentioned this before. I will certainly add a cover for my new boot (when I find it).

It's reasonable that this boot is an off-the-shelf item for $3. Rather than repeat fixes and covers (in other posts) I suspect what a lot of members want is: a PARTNUMBER and source for this simple and vulnerable $3 item, (not costing $27 or $47).

Last edited:
   / BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #5  
Yeah! We want to buy the $3 part. I got 30hrs on a bx1860 and ripped one already!

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped
Helms Farm Machinery in South Carolina has a cover for Ford/Massey that is 1-3/8" (= 36mm) on the big end, and 1/2" (= 13mm) on the small end, and costs $3.95 on their eBay store.

I called Jimmy at Helms (803-428-3460) and he had not heard of it being used on the BX, but he was interested. At about $8 including shipping, I''ll buy it and report back but my tractor is 120 miles away right now.....

Attachments

• Ford_massey_cover.jpg
    Ford_massey_cover.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 422
   / BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #7  
Mine were ripped early on. Went YEARS with them ripped. Had a leak on the front axle pivot and decided to change both....Yup, price sucks!:(

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #8  
Thanks I appreciate the part# and the follow-up. I know it will be fine ripped, and even with slack if it wears (just a tractor ussually goes less than 3mph), but I cannot leave things alone.

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #9  
Thanks, Just ordered two, lets see what I get..
Helms Farm Machinery in South Carolina has a cover for Ford/Massey that is 1-3/8" (= 36mm) on the big end, and 1/2" (= 13mm) on the small end, and costs $3.95 on their eBay store.

I called Jimmy at Helms (803-428-3460) and he had not heard of it being used on the BX, but he was interested. At about $8 including shipping, I''ll buy it and report back but my tractor is 120 miles away right now.....

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #10  
Include me as well, tore mine last month, BX23. I would like to see the boot protector techman, sounds like a great idea, can you get us a picture?