Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L5030

Default Re: L5030 GST Steering Problem

This sure gets confusing. David, I see your point about fluid being pumped to the left side of the cylinder to force wheels to be turned to the right. I have no idea how the fluid direction works, but if the pressure for a right turn comes from the left side of the cylinder, then fluid would come from the left side hose when disconnected and wheels turned to the right. Would I then need to disconnect the right side hose and turn wheels to the right to see if fluid is bypassing the cylinder seal, or would fluid normally come from the cylinder in this configuration?

Thanks,
    Ben

Tractor
    Kubota L5030

I just went out and tried disconnecting the hose on the right side of the cylinder and with wheels turned all the way to the right to begin with, I turned the steering wheel to the right some more and fluid pumped out of the cylinder fitting. No fluid came out of the right side hose. I don't know if this says anything about where the problem lies or not. Could this mean that fluid is getting by the cylinder seal and is continuing to pump from left to right flowing through the seal?

Thanks,
    Ben

Tractor
    Kubota X 4

Quote Originally Posted by BenH View Post
    I just went out and tried disconnecting the hose on the right side of the cylinder and with wheels turned all the way to the right to begin with, I turned the steering wheel to the right some more and fluid pumped out of the cylinder fitting. No fluid came out of the right side hose. I don't know if this says anything about where the problem lies or not. Could this mean that fluid is getting by the cylinder seal and is continuing to pump from left to right flowing through the seal?

Thanks,
    Ben
    If you are pumping fluid into the left cylinder port and it comes out the right port then I would say that there is something wrong with the internal seal. It would be enough for me to take it off and take it to a shop to be checked or to get a rebuild kit.

David Kb7uns
    Grand L3130GST LA723 Loader, ATI grapple, ATI grapple bucket, WR Long front remote, Kubota rear remotes, Bradco 408 Backhoe with thumb, 60"KK brush hog, 60" RM Finish Mower, Speeco Post Auger, 72" KK rear blade, 60" box blade
    BX2230 LA211, RCK60, GCK60 Bagger,42"Land Pride Tiller, XB BB, XB RB, rake, Fimco 3PT sprayer
    G2160 RCK60 Mower
    RTV1100 Orange, Work Lights, Front Rear Winch,Rear Screen, High Mount air cleaner, water seperator
    2010 Polaris RZR 800 S
    2007 CAN AM Outlander 800 LTD

Silver Member
    Tractor
    x

Quote Originally Posted by BenH View Post
    Okay, I tried turning wheels all the way to the right, disconnecting the hose from the left side of the cylinder and continued turning steering wheel to the right. Fluid came out of the left side hose, but not the cylinder fitting. What does this indicate? To be clear, there was so much fluid coming out of the hose that I could not be sure none at all was coming out of the cylinder fitting. I don't think there was, but I didn't have someone with me to observe the fitting up close. Should the fluid be coming out of the hose at all?

Thanks,
    Ben
    After thinking about the test you performed, are you sure you removed the correct hose? On my tractor, the steering cylinder is in front of the axle, which means that the rod in the cylinder travels right to turn right. To move the cylinder right, flow comes into the cylinder from the left hose. I think you want to remove the right hose on right turn... bypass fluid would come out of the cylinder's right port.

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Is steering cylinder in frt or behind ft axle. I was thinking about my M7040 which is behind frt axle. If steering cylinder is in frt of axle my statement is INCORRECT and thanks for correcting me.

Tractor
    Kubota L5030

The cylinder on my L5030 is in front of the axle housing. This being the case, the test I did by removing the right side hose and turning right and having fluid come out of the right side cylinder fitting would indicate that the cylinder is the problem. Correct?

Thank you all!
    Ben

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

YES that's correct.

Tractor
    Kubota L5030

I have the service manual ordered for the tractor. I will order the seal kit and start pulling the cylinder. It will be good to get the steering working right again.

Tractor
    Kubota X 4

The bad part about the service manual is it really does not address the problem of a internal cylinder leak, it has all other diagnosing information for the steering system.

Having the manual for a GST is good though as not everybody understands how they work.

David Kb7uns
    Grand L3130GST LA723 Loader, ATI grapple, ATI grapple bucket, WR Long front remote, Kubota rear remotes, Bradco 408 Backhoe with thumb, 60"KK brush hog, 60" RM Finish Mower, Speeco Post Auger, 72" KK rear blade, 60" box blade
    BX2230 LA211, RCK60, GCK60 Bagger,42"Land Pride Tiller, XB BB, XB RB, rake, Fimco 3PT sprayer
    G2160 RCK60 Mower
    RTV1100 Orange, Work Lights, Front Rear Winch,Rear Screen, High Mount air cleaner, water seperator
    2010 Polaris RZR 800 S
    2007 CAN AM Outlander 800 LTD

Tractor
    Kubota L5030

Quote Originally Posted by David_Kb7uns View Post
    The bad part about the service manual is it really does not address the problem of a internal cylinder leak, it has all other diagnosing information for the steering system.

Having the manual for a GST is good though as not everybody understands how they work.

David Kb7uns
    I have seen a PDF of the manual and it is completely lacking in information about diagnosing steering cylinder problems. The manual does have some good diagrams of the systems and components of the tractor and will be very useful when disassembling parts and getting them put back together correctly.

Ben

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast