L5030 GST Steering Problem

/ L5030 GST Steering Problem
It has taken a while but I now have the steering cylinder on the workbench and the center seal is definitely blown. It was missing about a 3/8" piece. I have a seal kit for the cylinder but am not sure how to go about installing the center hard seal. It is solid, not split, and has to slide over a piece of steel quite a bit larger than the seal. I don't want to ruin the new seal attempting to force it. Any ideas on how to get the seal in place? The attached picture shows the old seal and the new one.

Thanks,
Ben

Center seal.jpg

I was afraid it might take something like the method used on the video. It would probably cost almost as much as a new cylinder to buy the spreader and clasper to do this job, so I will probably take the cylinder to a hydraulic shop an have the center seal installed. No clue what they will charge but it has to be done.

Here is a video on Youtube showing the heating and stretching process.

SEAL CLASPER SEAL STRETCHER - YouTube

David Kb7uns

/ L5030 GST Steering Problem #34  
   / L5030 GST Steering Problem #35  
I have put more of this style seal on than I can count. I've never used any special tool. I've always just stretched them on by hand. You do have to wait a few minutes for them to shrink back before installing back in the tube.

Brian

/ L5030 GST Steering Problem #36  
If it was me I would try it by hand but would probably preheat some to make it more pliable.

David Kb7uns

/ L5030 GST Steering Problem #37  
If it was me I would try it by hand but would probably preheat some to make it more pliable.

David Kb7uns

I've tried putting them in hot water to warm them up with little effect.

Brian

/ L5030 GST Steering Problem #38  
Well the one video said 130C which is over 260F so hot water will not do it.

David Kb7uns

/ L5030 GST Steering Problem #39  
Well the one video said 130C which is over 260F so hot water will not do it.

David Kb7uns

So how are you supposed to handle the seal once it is that hot? You can't put that seal on with thick gloves on your hands. Besides I've never found it necessary. Just be patient and work it on at room temp.

Brian

I took the disassembled cylinder, along with the new seal kit to a hydraulic shop this morning. The cylinder housing had a tiny burr inside about the middle of the cylinder which abraded the seal and caused it to fail. The shop is going to lightly hone the housing and install all the seals for $40. I was pleasantly shocked at the price and couldn't agree fast enough. It will be ready to pick up late today or first thing tomorrow morning.

I discussed the procedure for installing the center seal while there and what the shop does is to stretch the seal cold, put it in place and use a tool to re compress it.

Ben