L5030 GST Steering Problem

/ L5030 GST Steering Problem #1  

BenH

Tractor
Kubota L5030
I have a problem with the power steering on my L5030. Unless I constantly turn the steering wheel, the wheels drift back to straight ahead, or almost straight. The steering shaft does turn from the column all the way into the steering box by the front axle. Is this most likely a hydraulic problem with the steering pump, or could there be a keyway in the steering box that has failed? The lack of steering is both to the left and right. I can turn but have to keep spinning the steering wheel to do so.

/ L5030 GST Steering Problem #2  
I would say check the center seal in the steering cylinder, can you jack tractor up and move wheels? The steering wheel controls the orbital valve and it routes fluid to either side of cylinder when pump is running and becomes a pump when engine is off. There is also a regulating valve that supplies fluid to steering circuit and GST from one of the sections of the hydraulic pump.

David Kb7uns

/ L5030 GST Steering Problem
Thanks for the reply David Kb7uns,
Do you mean that I should jack the tractor up and try moving the wheels with the steering wheel with engine off, or moving the wheels themselves by pushing and pulling from side to side? Sorry, I am not familiar with how the orbital valve functions. All hydraulics function except for the steering. That is the only problem I have had with the tractor and it is one I need to correct.

Thanks,
Ben

/ L5030 GST Steering Problem #4  
The orbital valve puts out fluid to one side of cylinder or the other as it is turned in each direction, if you say you keep turning and the steering is going back to center while moving forward then either control valve has a problem or the cylinder has an internal leak . You could lift tractor up and with engine off try to move wheels left and right and see what happens or with engine running turn each direction until you get to the stop and see how much the steering wheel turns when against the stop, a little movement is normal but if you can keep turning the wheel with a lot of movement then I would really look at the cylinder before the valve.

Hope this is not too confusing to you.

David Kb7uns

David, I will try lifting the front tomorrow, turn the wheels with the engine running and with it off and see what happens. When I use the tractor now, I can turn the steering wheel forever and never reach a stopping point and with almost no resistance.

Thanks again,
Ben

/ L5030 GST Steering Problem #6  
From the description of your symptoms, I would agree with David. Sure sounds like you have lost the center seal in the steering cylinder.

/ L5030 GST Steering Problem #7  
From the description of your symptoms, I would agree with David. Sure sounds like you have lost the center seal in the steering cylinder.

I disagree with center seal on frt cylinder being the problem. If center seal was blown I would think the frt wheels would not turn either direction because the oil would bypass. I think problem will be in steering controller.

I much appreciate the assistance from you all. I will be trying the suggestions David made, hopefully in a little while. Is there a way to determine if the controller is the culprit?

Thanks,
Ben

I raised the front wheels off the ground and with the engine off I could turn the steering wheel until wheels went as far as possible left and right. There was never a positive stop. The steering wheel would turn forever without any increase in resistance. If I turned the steering wheel a little faster than normal there was some slippage or bypass evident. The steering wheel turned much faster than the wheels responded and there was a chattering sound which I could not locate. I will get someone to listen while I turn the steering wheel and try to locate where the noise is coming from.

I tried turning the wheels both with the engine running and with it stopped and both ways resulted in no stopped turning position. The steering wheel just kept turning. I could also turn the wheels left and right by pushing and pulling the tires each direction.

Do these results indicate where the problem might be located?

Thanks,
Ben

/ L5030 GST Steering Problem #10  
Well the valve is routing the fluid to the cylinder in the proper way and with no stoppage or increased resistance makes me believe it is the internal seal on the cylinder, driving my L3130 GST tractor today I went to the stops and with normal force on the wheel it came to a stop at each lock.

David Kb7uns