grinding starter

/ grinding starter #1  

luckyeddie

Tractor
Kabota L3800
Hello, I have an L3800 HST that is a little over a year old,,,it has around 110 hours. I have had issues with the starter not engaging to the point I took it back to my dealer. They replaced the starter and did a complimentary fluid-filter change. I went down to the barn this morning and it took five tries to get it to start! I did use the glow plug,,although it's not that cool here in Georgia,,,,but I don't feel it makes a difference. The tractor is kept in an enclosed converted chicken house,,,,never outside. My dealer were helpful but offered no reason for this,,,,is this something anyone else has experienced? It's a great tractor,,,,but I would like it to start without all the drama of grinding metal,,,,,Eddie

/ grinding starter #2  
Are you saying that not only does it not start, but the starter still grinds like it did before the dealer replaced the starter? Does the engine actually turn over, but still won't start? Or does the engine not even turn over?

/ grinding starter
Are you saying that not only does it not start, but the starter still grinds like it did before the dealer replaced the starter? Does the engine actually turn over, but still won't start? Or does the engine not even turn over?

Yes, the starter grinds without starting the engine. I don't hold the key any longer than a few seconds in the start position when I hear the failure to turn the engine over,,,,,just that horrible grinding sound of the starter,,,,,,,it took five tries this morning before it "engaged" and started the tractor. My dealer said to use it till it dies,,,,,,the way things go,,it will die when I need it most!

/ grinding starter #4  
Yes, the starter grinds without starting the engine. I don't hold the key any longer than a few seconds in the start position when I hear the failure to turn the engine over,,,,,just that horrible grinding sound of the starter,,,,,,,it took five tries this morning before it "engaged" and started the tractor. My dealer said to use it till it dies,,,,,,the way things go,,it will die when I need it most!

If your dealer said that I might consider looking at a new svc dealer or at least get a second opinion. Grinding starters usually mean 1. Worn gears on starter, 2. Worn gears on flywheel or 3. There might be some clearance issues with the starter and the flywheel usually involving adding or removing some shims.

If they just replaced the starter and it is still doing it Im guessing you either have worn/missing teeth on the flywheel or the starter isn't engaging deep enough on the flywheel and is slipping/grinding because of some possible shims left from the previous starter.

I don't know if Kubotas have inspection plates for the flywheel but if they do it might be worthwhile to pull it off and take a peek.

/ grinding starter
If your dealer said that I might consider looking at a new svc dealer or at least get a second opinion. Grinding starters usually mean 1. Worn gears on starter, 2. Worn gears on flywheel or 3. There might be some clearance issues with the starter and the flywheel usually involving adding or removing some shims.

If they just replaced the starter and it is still doing it Im guessing you either have worn/missing teeth on the flywheel or the starter isn't engaging deep enough on the flywheel and is slipping/grinding because of some possible shims left from the previous starter.

I don't know if Kubotas have inspection plates for the flywheel but if they do it might be worthwhile to pull it off and take a peek.

Alright, I will do that ASAP and I will be sure to let you know what I find. I will be sorely disappointed in my dealer if it is such an obvious issue!

/ grinding starter #8  
Engines stop at approximately the same position so if you have a broken/chipped tooth on the flywheel you will keep hitting it. Best to check the flywheel by removing the starter and inspecting the ring gear for damage. I would not accept " run it till it breaks " from the dealer. It will break at the most inopportune time guaranteed.

/ grinding starter #9  
Engines stop at approximately the same position ...

Why? The pistons compression strokes are staggered, and there's a lot of spinning mass that has to come to rest.

/ grinding starter #10  
Why? The pistons compression strokes are staggered, and there's a lot of spinning mass that has to come to rest.

It may be old school, however, still applies. The engine stops at the compression stroke or nearby thereby limiting the area that it stops. In an inline six cylinder engine the engine stops in one of three areas wearing out the ring gear due to the starter engaging and wearing the teeth. Depending on the number of cylinders and their configuration the engine will stop in about the same area if there is a chipped or damaged tooth on the ring gear you will hit the damaged area often. When rebuilding old inline six engines and replacing the flywheels it was common practice to rotate the ring gear sixty degrees to move the engagement area. If the ring gear was worn on one side it was flipped over and the process started over again. In this day of just replacing parts this is one of those things that is rarely done anymore, I'm showing my age :laughing: