Winches Small Winch on a BX2200?

/ Small Winch on a BX2200? #1  

PhilNH5

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3000HSDCC
Folks,
I have been considering a small winch to put on the front of my BX2200. Specifically I want to use it to help pull logs out of the woods. Currently I use a large chain to drag out firewood or help pull down clumps of small birches(they grow like weeds around here). Would a small winch be capable of this?
I am considering the Warn Works 1700. It is rated at 1500 lbs and comes with 35 feet of cable. It is small like an ATV winch but is designed to pull small loads as opposed to primarily vehicle recovery.

Does any one have any experience with this type of set up? I figure the bigger winches would be overkill and this small one would suit my needs.

Thanks,
Phil

/ Small Winch on a BX2200? #2  
I dunno, but it looks like the current draw will be a real problem. Even at only 500 lbs it's already drawing 85 amps, and pulling 1700 lbs you are drawing 245 amps. The dynamo on the BX is only 14 amps at high rpm, and even the upgrade alternator is only good for 45 amps. I'm afraid you wouldn't get much pulling done before you drained your battery. Course, I could be all wet here....

/ Small Winch on a BX2200? #3  
Depending upon the traction your tractor has, the winch could end up pulling the tractor to the birches instead of the other way around. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Small Winch on a BX2200? #4  
Well I can help with this one.,I just bought me a new B7500 and I ran upon a good deal on a Warn 2000lb ATV winch (Brand New) with the wireing included. The only thing I had to do was to have a bracket made for the front of my tractor for the winch to set on. I done alot of research before installing this thing. Since my tractor was NEW I did'nt want to damage anything. I contacted my ATV dealer and I was told it would be very easy to install and would not hurt anything. I used the powersourse that was for the (Extra Lighting). It uses a 15 amp fuse.
Mine is installed and works great. Look back on a post on here on 8-20-03 under "Does the B7500 have a fusebox" and you can read more about it. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me.
Donny /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Small Winch on a BX2200?
Charlie,
Thanks for taking the time to visit the Warn site and look that info up. I had seen that table as well but felt that if an ATV can run these small winches then surely a tractor can. But I wasn't sure so I posted the question.

Don,
Thanks for the info. I read your original posting. After reading that I would have said you can't do it - based on everyones input on amperage draw. But you did it and it works.

I am not sure what I will do. I think I will go to an ATV store this weekend and see what they say.

Phil

/ Small Winch on a BX2200? #6  
Phil, the operation of a winch depends more on the amperage rating of your battery than on the output of your alternator. The battery is where the electrical energy created by the alternator is stored. The alternator needs to be able to generate enough amperage to run the most used electrical equipment...lights, signals, fuel pump, etc. The battery is used as a supplimentary source of power for when the electrical draw is greater than the output of the alternator or for when the alternator is not yet in use as in starting. When a winch is in use it pulls the amps that are in excess of the alternators output from the battery, the alternator needs to be able to recharge the battery in a reasonable time after/during the draw.

boxman

/ Small Winch on a BX2200? #7  
Something else to think about before you spend your money: Is it faster to pull it with the tractor or the winch? I'm not sure what the line speed is on the model your looking at, but I'm sure the BX will pull it out a LOT faster than the winch. I've got a Warn M12000 on my wood cutting truck and under a load(7000lbs+) line speed is only 3-4ft per minute.Works great for getting my sorry butt out of a jam but if I can pull it with the truck it's always much faster.

/ Small Winch on a BX2200?
Boxman,
Thanks for your reply. That makes sense and explains how Don got his to work. Makes me feel better about trying this.

B2400,
The Warn site lists the ft/minute and you are correct. Under load they can be quite slow. So far I have successfully used the tractor. But there are some trees I can not reach in my hillside woods. I figure I would use the winch for situations like that. The small birches I am pulling out are on the edge of the yard. Sometimes due to landscaping I just can't get even my tiny BX2200 in to them.
And lastly I figure if I ever get over ambitious or stupid and get the BX stuck the winch will come in handy.:D

Again, thanks for the replies.

Phil

/ Small Winch on a BX2200? #9  
Stuck BX--if your loader is on it, you can back yourself out. I've seen the big guys (backhoes) do this.

I drove my BX2200 into a hole I was filling with sand. It bogged down, so I extended the bucket max, then dropped it into the sand, curled it as I was 4WD in reverse.

Backed me right out!

Enjoy!

Ron