Time to Sell Tractor?

/ Time to Sell Tractor? #21  
Things are a chore because I have to make time to go up there. Get things ready, try to work, and put things away so nothing gets stolen. All the while someone is waiting for me to do something someplace else.

I NEVER have time to do what I want to do or need to do. Always rushed. Maybe things will be better when we move and I am there all the time.

A box blade isn't going to smooth out the really bad roughs areas... Gonna take a disc, harrow, some better dirt than the stuff that is there, boxblade at the end. Again, something I just have not been able to get to or the disc and harrow to do it.
Relax. Slow down a bit and work for a while in experimental mode with what you have.
... 1st Set up. How much air pressure is in your tires and what kind are they? From the bumpiness you mention I fear you have Industrial[R4] or turfs. And they are too hard. With loader the fronts need to be pretty hard [30psi would be reasonable] but the rears should be kinda soft, maybe 15PSI. AND they should be carrying some real weight - esp when you use the loader to give you stability and traction.

...2nd practice. You mention stalling. Use your lowest gear and mid rpm setting and there should be no way to stall it. Push the lip of the bucket angled slightly into the ground. The tractor should move a little as the edge cuts deeper until it wont push. Stay off the clutch. Let it spin. Use curl to wiggle the bucket angle. Youll make progress. If the ground is hard youll shave it up. If soft you may dig right in and have to curl out a chunk. Get used to the interplay of forces. Be sure you have WEIGHT on the back before you start lifting and carrying stuf -- you really need an implement as counterweight in addition to liquid tire ballast.
With a little time and thoughtful experience youll figure out whats needed.
larry

/ Time to Sell Tractor? #22  
I never operated a tractor until my 40's. I'm in my 50's now. I was very intimidated when on hills when I first started - just seemed like I would topple over because I was sitting so high. Now I have a little better understanding of the center of gravity and practice over the years I don't have a problem at all. It wasn't a quick adjustment though - and you have to know your tractor.

Bought a Kubota last year and it has a totally different feel to it. I have to remember I can't operate it just like I did my other tractor. I still lack some proficiency with it. It takes some time and practice - and I can't operate my tractor more than once a week ... so it will take me longer. Don't be too hard on yourself.

/ Time to Sell Tractor? #23  
Larry's got the right idea - relax.
There's actually a lot of technique required to operate a tractor effectively - keep at it and you will start seeing results.
Setting unrealistic expectations for yourself is a recipe for disappointment and dread for the task and gear asscociated with it.
Reminds me of the first hours I spent trying to learn stick welding. Don't set out to accomplish anything and you might actually get something done.
I have an L3240GST - almost identical to your L3130 - and it's a real work horse. It has saved by poor old back many, many times and allowed me to take on a lot of projects on my limited schedule and budget.
This was the first tractor I ever operated and there has been a real learning curve, so just plan on spending some hours figuring out what works for you and what doesn't. There's lots of good information here on TBN, so ask some questions, use the search function and do some reading before you get back in the saddle. This place has really helped me reduce that learning curve - and the frustration that goes with it.
-Jim

/ Time to Sell Tractor? #24  
I'm not disagreeing with this, just want clarification. If you had R4's you *shouldn't*
widen it? Or even if you widen it with R4's it wouldn't help? This advice doesn't just apply to R1's. In my opinion,
I would have just left off the ", if...."

Yeah, widening the track is always good, unless you can't get into some tight space, or your field rows are
affected. The problem is with R4s and turfs is that you have one-piece wheels and you may not be able
to widen the track by flipping the wheels. My own R4 wheels have zero offset. R1 wheels for this size of CUT
are usually 2-piece, allowing numerous track settings.

/ Time to Sell Tractor?
It took me many years to learn everyone has the same amount of time.

Sounds like you need to make some changes in your life... Good luck!

There is not much I can change right now.

I am a stay at home dad to a 5 year old in Kindergarten from 8-3. A almost three year old in preschool two days a week from 9-12. The rest of the time he is my shadow. I have a house with a yard to maintain. I have my mother's yard to maintain, and I have my grandmother's house and yard to maintain. My grandmother is in assisted living. Then I have my 10 acres where the house is being built. On the weekend when my wife is off there seems to be something to do. If I am LUCKY I am able to get up and work for a few hours on Saturday or Sunday. I would venture to guess over the year I have had this tractor I have less than 25 hours on it. My time belongs to everyone else. I don't ever get to use my time.

Its a serious bummer.

/ Time to Sell Tractor?
Relax. Slow down a bit and work for a while in experimental mode with what you have.
... 1st Set up. How much air pressure is in your tires and what kind are they? From the bumpiness you mention I fear you have Industrial[R4] or turfs. And they are too hard. With loader the fronts need to be pretty hard [30psi would be reasonable] but the rears should be kinda soft, maybe 15PSI. AND they should be carrying some real weight - esp when you use the loader to give you stability and traction.

...2nd practice. You mention stalling. Use your lowest gear and mid rpm setting and there should be no way to stall it. Push the lip of the bucket angled slightly into the ground. The tractor should move a little as the edge cuts deeper until it wont push. Stay off the clutch. Let it spin. Use curl to wiggle the bucket angle. Youll make progress. If the ground is hard youll shave it up. If soft you may dig right in and have to curl out a chunk. Get used to the interplay of forces. Be sure you have WEIGHT on the back before you start lifting and carrying stuf -- you really need an implement as counterweight in addition to liquid tire ballast.
With a little time and thoughtful experience youll figure out whats needed.
larry

I have ag tires all around.

My bumpiness is a result of erosion. Dirt washed away around clumps of bermuda. If one isnt careful, you will stumble and fall. It will need disc and harrow, Some dirt to ammend the soil, and get real grass growing. Poor soil and erosion.

Nitrate 0 ppm Phosphorus 1 ppm Potassium 147 ppm Calcium 37,915 ppm Magnesium 64 ppm Sulfur 8 ppm Sodium 20 ppm

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/286833-smoothing-out-rough-ground.html

/ Time to Sell Tractor?
Here is what I have. Ag tires. outside rear to outside rear is 6ft. No HST. Got the shuttle shift.

DSC_0921.jpg

/ Time to Sell Tractor? #28  

I am a stay at home dad to a 5 year old in Kindergarten from 8-3. A almost three year old in preschool two days a week from 9-12. The rest of the time he is my shadow. I have a house with a yard to maintain. I have my mother's yard to maintain, and I have my grandmother's house and yard to maintain. My grandmother is in assisted living. Then I have my 10 acres where the house is being built. On the weekend when my wife is off there seems to be something to do. If I am LUCKY I am able to get up and work for a few hours on Saturday or Sunday. I would venture to guess over the year I have had this tractor I have less than 25 hours on it. My time belongs to everyone else. I don't ever get to use my time.

Its a serious bummer.

I am sure more than a few of us can identify with the time issue. My wife and I both worked and raised three children while living 35 miles from the family farm. My brother and I tried balancing school, work, family and farming. We decided it was too much and sold all our farm equipment. We didn't even own a tractor for a few years to bush hog our property.

When our kids got older and more time was available, we bought a Ford NAA to do property maintenance and worked up from there. My brother moved to the farm and I was able to go over most weekends; finally got more land on which we built a house. My sons learned to run tractors, trucks, chain saws etc.; its often a process.

We can make more money, but not more time and sometimes we just have to step back and accept some things just aren't practical now, maybe someday, just not now.

This may not apply to you, but it did to me and I'm sure some others.

/ Time to Sell Tractor? #29  
TripleRs right. We can take time but we can't make time.
Everyone has the same 24 hours in a day but depending on our on individual personal obligations/commitments we usually have to prioritize those obligations. Family to me is a top priority but children grow older, in time:), and jobs can be finished and usually a window of time opens for new priorities.

/ Time to Sell Tractor? #30  

Its a serious bummer.
Well, ya have put yourself in a pickle. Maybe you need someone else to look after the kids for one or two full days a week. You could get a lot done that way.

You have a great tractor! Keep it, learn how to use it, load the rear tires (if not loaded), the rears can also be set out wider, get some type of counter weight for the 3 pt hitch, 800-1000 lbs, this could be weight alone, or a heavy box blade with weight added to it.

Do you have a box blade? I use a BB more than I do a loader, very useful implement!